Logic Pro 9 Project damaged!!! lost 1 entire work day!!

tigerman

Logician
Hi, after the 2nd crash my project still opens but every save i do after that cause the project to be corrupted

if i open my latest save i get this

http://www.bakerloofiles.com/images/immagine3.png
http://www.bakerloofiles.com/images/immagine4a.png
http://www.bakerloofiles.com/images/immagine4b.png

do i have any chance to recover my project??
i've tried opening it with 9.1 9.0.2 and 8.0.2 with no luck :/
worst thing happened since long time :(

both crashes has happened moving objects inside arrange, yes, the old bug has returned again!!

SO be careful when reopening (crashed) projects, try to save and reopen before working on it, you may lose your entire work after that point!!

All the techniques discussed just put the odds in your favor, they don't eliminate corruption. That said, I use save as fairly often - not just for substantial changes, but as a safety.

And you're right about save as passing along corruption. I could be on project version 12 and have file corruption going back to version 6. But the single advantage is project files won't be purged, which can happen if you reach the backup limit. You seem not to have to worry about that with your technique, so yes, they are somewhat redundant methods.

Upvote 0
But noone seem to discuss what causes these flile corruptions. I haven't had one before Logic 8. I have only experienced it with songs that were based on older autoloads or songs that were started with a different setup especially in terms of outboard midi.
I used to use outboard reverbs, eqs, delays and some had environments like the Lexicon LXP series or the Roland JVs. In the cases I have experienced the dreaded "file corrupted" message, clearing my unused environments have solved the problems but I'm not capable of pinpointing the problem.
Has anybody else been able to do that....

Upvote 0
But noone seem to discuss what causes these flile corruptions. I haven't had one before Logic 8.

You yourself mention one of the known causes of increased risk of song corruption:

I have only experienced it with songs that were based on older autoloads or songs that were started with a different setup especially in terms of outboard midi.

As far back as I can remember, it was always recommended to create a new autoload with each major new logic release.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Mark[/QUOTE]
As far back as I can remember, it was always recommended to create a new autoload with each major new logic release.

Of course but nothing as drastic as "Project Damaged" has happened in the past so it used to be a clever thing to do. Now it's absolutely necessary although I haven't experienced any problems in Logic 9 yet. Actually it open older songs better than 8 I find.

Upvote 0
let's say that logic auutosave feature while crashing is not safe, avoid using that or at least import the work over the previous save

Upvote 0
If you can open a damaged version and it plays but you cannot work, it might be possible to bounce the tracks one by one. If it was made with an old autoload, do not go into the evironment, not even the audio (environment-) mixer. Problems with old templates are often environment related. Touch as few as possible, only what you must to mute and bounce.

I guess you have tried that already but I want to mention it in case you haven't ...

Upvote 0
thanks for the hint, but i have lost everything like the pictures on the first thread, project works but most of my channel strips and the entire arrange are disappeared.
it's the same on every corrupted backup.

Upvote 0
I agree with the recommendation to use the Import function. I didn't see much discussion on that. During the import, check all boxes for every option. Save the new imported setup. Then copy your regions from the old song to the new song. If your old song cannot be opened, relaunch Logic with the audio driver off by holding down the Control key during launch and declining to load the audio driver. This allows access to many corrupt songs. Then copy your regions from the old song to the new song. This is a VERY FAST process when the audio driver is not loaded and a good way to work when trying to save a corrupted track. Once the new song is set up the way you want, save it. Close Logic. Relaunch with the driver and see how the new track fares.

Upvote 0
Just saw this. Doesn't seem like the import will work then unless it reveals properties you can't see when you open the damaged file. Perhaps the data is there, but not visible?

Upvote 0

I think I give this advice myself! ;)

And it's definitely true. I saw a fair amount of song corruption in the Logic 4.6.x days, mostly due to f'ed up VST plug-ins (remember VST? :hippy:). But through a combination of not using dodgy plug-ins and redoing my autoload from scratch in versions 5, 6, etc. I've not seen song corruption in quite some time.

Orren

Upvote 0
This even happened to me in Logic 8 because of Crystal AU. Took a long time to trace it down, but eventually I was able to narrow it down and disable it in the song with the audio driver disengaged. Then resaved, relaunched and reopened Crystal. Problem solved. Same Crystal AU too. That was a real mind bender. What a grueling process. :p

Upvote 0
i'm bringing my autoload since version 6, never had any problem
i do even keep logic preferences files aswell.. with logic 9 i had a couple of wrong parameters, nothing else
my song has been corrupted because of a crash

btw i tried everything you all have suggested with no luck, so the project is gone, i've given up.

Upvote 0
i'm bringing my autoload since version 6, never had any problem (....)
my song has been corrupted because of a crash

Are you 100% sure that the crash wasn't caused by some file corruption? Far from me to point the finger or anything, but the advice to not use old autoloads in new versions of logic is really worth heeding.

btw i tried everything you all have suggested with no luck, so the project is gone, i've given up.

That is really too bad, sorry for your lost work :(

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Are you 100% sure that the crash wasn't caused by some file corruption?

yes, as i have said i've continued working from a (crashed) autosave, that was the reason...

The best should be to trash both preferences and autoload
and restart from the beginning... then import only key command, if you have changed them a lot like me

i'll do it if i will encounter some more issues or if it keep crashing moving objects in arrange like last week

till now i had problems only with the old preferences rather than the old autoload.

Upvote 0
If you are recycling your old autoload, you are missing out on a lot of new features like the improved busses and dynamic track adding and subtracting. We no longer have to have tons of tracks built. You can create them dynamically from the arrange window on the fly, which keeps the song much tidier. The important thing about the new busses (which are created automatically when you establish a send or route the output of a track) is that they can send to other (dynamically created) busses. This was one of my requests for a long time (busses with sends), so I'm really pleased with the new system. This cleaner approach also helps engineers who are mixing down another user's project in Logic, because the engineer knows for certain that when they make a new bus, it isn't already in use. (Note: this dynamic management method is a bit easier to manage when Track/Mute/Solo in the General Audio preferences is set to Fast).

Upvote 0
i can't use that feature, i've tried it already..
i need always out for 3 sound systems, i need a premaster track in TDM (for sidechaining purpouses) and a "DAE delay" premaster (with a time adjuster) for all sound that comes from dae instaed of core audio (eg. Virus indigo or external machines)
I have Waves EQ10 on my genelec out, for linearizing purpouses, i have a lot of external machines also, i don't want to have to create a channel everytime i want to use them, even if i have renamed all dae and core audio inputs and outputs it's too time consuming.
The new bus system has driven me crazy for a long time, now i've solved but i've worked for a few months without the solo option.
i hate logic auto aux creation when i insert a bus, also if i want to use busses as channel output i have to create the bus channel even if i don't need it, else it won't solo. (that was the problem about solo)
Also if i set an output as send in a tdm aux the solo routine doesn't recognize that.
i don't like this new system to be honest, i miss logic 7 in this matter.

I should use this new feature for core audio, but in tdm i need a fixed mixer.

Not to mention that since logic 8 my logic control now is full of useless channels, and even using the "secret" view (shift+global view) it eliminates signal flow channel strips but it doubles my channels when i have multiple automations visible on the arrange.
So again i'm missing like it was in logic 7 and earlier.

Upvote 0
here's my autoload, i don't have room to let you see all channels i have.
i've changed some aux to busses in tdm last week just to have a bit less useless channels on my control surface..

also i need all adat tdm inputs and core audio outputs, it's already a pain having to use 2 channels, i can't imagine to have to set them up every time

and i need a q1 on turbosound outs for crossovering, and the scope out for spectrum analyzer...

second monitor is on the left :p

Turbosound outs are not connected by default as i use it just a few times..

http://www.bakerloofiles.com/images/image7a.png
http://www.bakerloofiles.com/images/image7b.png

Upvote 0
This was one of my requests for a long time (busses with sends), so I'm really pleased with the new system.

busses with sends has been always in logic since version 2, just use auxes with theat bus as input and you have all the sends you want, there was no need to do that changes.

Upvote 0
Touché; many good points. Of course, I have some predetermined tracks in my autoload (okay one which is dedicated to Battery; the rest are dynamic). But you're right, i'm completely native AU.

I think the writing has been on the wall for sometime now that ProTools support in Logic is on its way out. I've been telling all my ProTools/Logic friends to sell their HD rigs and buy UAD Quad cards instead. Those that have are really happy they did. I fully expect TDM support to disappear completely in Logic 10, but this is pure conjecture on my part and not because of any privileged information. At the very least, integration will deteriorate. Apple has no incentive to support its nemesis with a front end.

We no longer get the option to install ProTools components unless we already had it before the install process. Frankly, I'm surprised Apple even did that. I feel for you, bro. You clearly have a strong grasp on what works best for your configuration. I'm really sorry that you've lost some work. We've all been there at some point in our lives. I lost almost everything about 12 years ago. That was quite a sucky day.

Upvote 0
Back