Logic Pro 9 Quantise Note Ends

tommydrago

Hi, I'm a new Mac and Logic user (having just moved from Cubase and PC). It's all going well but I can't for the life of me work out how to quantise note ends in the piano roll! With Cubase you simply select the notes then Midi, Quantise note ends - done! I've found a little drop down in Logic saying Advanced Quantization, Q-Length which I presume must be something to do with it, but can't figure out how to work it! I would very much appreciate the help of a skilled user! Thanks in advance!

Select the notes whose ends you want to quantize in the piano roll editor. Drag the ends of the notes while holding down the shift key. This will alter the note lengths so that all the note ends will snap to the same position.

Related to this (the opposite actually) - do the same thing with option and shift keys held down, and it will force all the notes to be the same length (but not the same end position)

Upvote 0
Thanks, but...

Eli, the 'shift and option' function is most useful and is certainly half way to the final result I'm after (and it has sped up my work rate considerably!) so many thanks for your input. However, when I try holding down the shift key by itself and dragging the selected notes it makes all of the notes extend massively and overlap each other! What I really want to do is to be able to select a whole passage that I've played consisting of varying note lengths and just neatly snap all of the ends to the nearest 16th, 8th or whatever I choose. Is this possible?

AJ, thanks for the advice - I had found that also but, after much head scratching and looking at 1 0 0 0 0 parameters, still no idea how to make it work! Any clues?!

Thanks! Tom

Upvote 0
What I really want to do is to be able to select a whole passage that I've played consisting of varying note lengths and just neatly snap all of the ends to the nearest 16th, 8th or whatever I choose. Is this possible?
Thanks! Tom

AJ's suggestion is the right track. The Quantize note length preset is what you need. Unfortunately you can't do both eights and sixteenths in the same pass. You'll need to set it for each.

So, just to point you in the right direction, try this:

1. Choose the quantize note length preset from the Transform Window.

2. Uncheck the hide unused parameters at the bottom.

3. In the upper row, under the Length field, choose "inside" from the drop down menu

4. Set it to, for example . . . 0 ticks in the top filed and a little bit over 240 in the bottom field. Maybe something like . . 1 80. This way all the notes that are approximately a sixteenth note long (240 ticks) will get selected and acted upon.

5. In the bottom row, directly under that length filed, choose quantize from the drop down menu.

6. Set the value to . . . 240 ticks.

7. Press select and operate. That should quantize all your short notes to even sixteenths in length.

8. Reset and repeat for eighth notes. Instead of . . . 240 (or . . 1 . ; which is only one tick longer). You need to use a setting of . . 1 240 (or . . 2 . )

HTH.

Upvote 0
Back