Logic Pro (X) Quantization name question

LMPaule

Logician
Here is something that has confused me for awhile, and now I am getting around to ask. If, I have a midi region highlighted in the Main Window, and I set region quantization to say "1/16 Swing A", then all is fine. However, if I then turn on the Score editor below this, the quantization readout in the Main Window changes from "1/16 Swing A" to "16,24" rather than "1/16 Swing A". I realize this is make no change to the quantization, but, I am curious as to why the name label changes.

Thanks, Larry

First of all, you have to be aware that there are two levels for the quantize command:

Quantize Region:
Quantizes all MIDI Events inside the Region.

Quantize Region Content:
Let's you quantize individual MIDI Evens inside a Region.

Keep these two concepts in mind when you look at your question.

The Quantize Parameter in the Region Inspector displays the Region Parameters.
You select a Region, it displays what value the Region was quantized. You select a different Region and the Region Inspector displays what the Quantize Value was for that Region. As with any Inspector, it displays the parameter value of the selected object and you can change the value for the currently selected Object.

The Local Inspector in the Score Editor is different. The displayed value is not a Parameter, it is a command setting. That means, the currently displayed quantize value is the value that any selected note(s) will be quantized when you click on the Q button. Changing the Quantize Value doesn't affect any Notes or Regions, only the value that is used the next time when you press the Q Button next to it.

Be Aware !
As I mentioned in the Region Inspector, it displays the RegionParameter for the selected Region.If you select a Region and it displays 1/16, it tells you that the Region was quantized with 1/16 value. That doesn't guarantee that all the notes inside the Region are quantized to 1/16 grid.You still could have gone to any MIDI Editor and Quantized the MIDI Events to 1/2.

Quantize Region overwrite Quantize Region Content and vice versa

I spend a lot of time in my book (Logic Pro X - How it Works) discussing that important topic of Quantization. For example, did you know that you quantize in each Region to their individual Region Timeline Grid and NOT to the Timeline Grid of you Project?

Upvote 0
Edgar,

Thank you for your detailed and thought provoking answer. I have downloaded Logic Pro X - How it Works, and look forward to reading.

To others who might be reading this:
Most of the reviews on Amazon were extremely positive. I noted that Doug Zangar gave it 5 stars. Doug is one of the Groove 3 instructors. I have always been impressed with his knowledge and teaching skills.

Larry

Upvote 0
Hey Larry,

I don't mean to contradict Edgar, maybe we're talking about two different things, but the quantize value in the score inspector is meant, AFAIK, as a display quantize function.

The idea is that you can quantize the region in the Tracks Area as you want it to sound. And then in the Score Inspector, you can change the quantization for it to be displayed differently; but it won't affect the actual placement of the notes; just their display in the score editor.

And Edgar - yes! It can be really confusing understanding that when quantizing regions, the region boundaries take priority over the project grid!

Upvote 0
Eli, thanks for the reply. However, I am getting more confused. So, I will try to attach examples.

Ex1 shows Quantize for the region as 1/16 Swing C. This is for one region with the Piano role open.

Ex2 shows Quantize for the region as 16,24. The only change I have made is to switch from Piano Role to Score. I have not changed regions or anything else.

Attachments

• LPX EX1.jpg
    LPX EX1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 192
  • LPX EX2.jpg
    LPX EX2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 0
Update

Eli,

Ok, after read your response again, I think I've got it. One affects the performance and one affects the notation.

Thanks for all of your wonderful Groove 3 videos.

Larry

Upvote 0
Exactly, you've got it.

And thanks! :)

PS: Keep your eyes open for a new Logic series. I just completed it today. It should be out in a week or two.

Upvote 0
...- yes! It can be really confusing understanding that when quantizing regions, the region boundaries take priority over the project grid!
Indeed, and that is why I took the habit to make the left edge of the regions to coincide to the bars as much as possible (or at least to the beat), which also makes the readout of Absolute vs Relative views to be more coherent...

Upvote 0
Eli, thanks for the reply. However, I am getting more confused. So, I will try to attach examples.

Ex1 shows Quantize for the region as 1/16 Swing C. This is for one region with the Piano role open.

Ex2 shows Quantize for the region as 16,24. The only change I have made is to switch from Piano Role to Score. I have not changed regions or anything else.
That is indeed confusing, and perhaps one day, the coding guys lightbulb will spark with the brilliant idea to add next to the score view quantize the corresponding label (i.e.: Score Quantize), and while they are it, group the region quantization parameters into one section, instead of spreading them in different ones...

Upvote 0
I just received some Groove3 advertisement about Logic Pro X Signal Flow...
Is that the one you were talking about?

Upvote 0
Back