Logic Pro 9 Quantize to Grid

Lincoln M

Logician
Having an issue with quantization...

Can't seem to get notes to quantize to the grid. They are all snapping like there is some kind of offset? I have the Grid value at eighth notes, and when I quantize (to 1/8) the note moves, but just off to the right of the grid...Any ideas?

Leytonnz, thanks that was it!!

George thanks for your input as well! That was my first guess, too, but trouble shooting plugs didn't fix it.

I didn't realize Logic quantized to the start of a region?? Anyway simple fix that will save me much time! Woo Hoo!

Upvote 0
Logic quantizes notes relative to the start of the MIDI region. Most of the time a MIDI region starts at the beginning of a bar or beat, so the vast majority of quantizing would work as expected even i you didn't know about this condition. Even if a MIDI region started at the beginning of a sixteenth note (but not on a bar or beat), and all your quantizing was to 1/16 or less, then it would still work as expected. The workaround is to simply extend the beginning of the MIDI region to some more rounded value (like a bar or beat).

This condition is actually a feature that makes sense in various contexts: If you have a musical run in a MIDI region, but you move the MIDI region to some non-rounded position, then you would likely want any quantizing to be relative to the region, not to the global grid.

Of course, if you snipped a "regular starting" region in half at some non-rounded position, then the 2nd region would therefore start at this non-rounded value. And it would likely be your intention that any quantizing to this 2nd region be to the global grid - hence the problem you're encountering.

There is a handy keycommand called "Set Optimal Region Position Rounded By Bar" that will change the MIDI region boundaries so it starts/ends on Bar lines (it also makes regions shorter if there is no data to justify the long length). There is a similar keycommand called "Set Optimal Region Position Rounded By Denominator" which does the same thing at whatever user-defined denominator you had set (/16 is the default). This second keycommand would likely make most sense if A) you only quantize to 1/16 or less and B) if you've got MIDI regions jammed up beside each other such that the "round by bar" method would cause an overlap which might make things visually confusing.

Upvote 0
Back