rating system on Logic requests and bugs

alienimplant

Logician
Sorry if this has already been stated here, but I would like to see a rating system in place (with the number of endorsements listed and visible) for Feature Requests and Most Urgent Bug Fixes. We need something concrete that apple can look at and see easily where the greatest demand exists. It amazes me that in this day and age, companies such as Apple don't do this themselves. But since they don't, we should address the need and send a crystal clear message about what matters most to a majority of users.

It amazes me that in this day and age, companies such as Apple don't do this themselves. But since they don't

Have you any particular reason for making this statement? Perhaps you are aware of Apple's internal procedures for dealing with feature requests, reported bugs etc, but if that is the case, in all likelihood you would not be allowed to discuss them in public. If you aren't, forgive me, but isn't this then just pure speculation on your part?

kind regards

Mark

Doesn't sound like my point is being conveyed. I'm not making any sort of statement about the etiquette of discussion by Apple employees (which I am not). What I'm suggesting is a swift system that establishes a clear understanding of what constitutes the greatest need and desire of Logic users. That is all.

Doesn't sound like my point is being conveyed.

Perhaps you need to be a little clearer as to what your point is?

FWIW, I just had a quick look in the wish list here. Seems that at least this request you made already got dealt with:

https://logic-users-group.com/forums/threads/comping-in-logic-8-almost-there.237/

What I'm suggesting is a swift system that establishes a clear understanding of what constitutes the greatest need and desire of Logic users. That is all.

Ultimately, that is something only Apple could do. Remember, by far the most important thing that you, I or any other logic user can do is to send his bugs, wishes etc to one of the URLs I am reposting below. We have no way of knowing, nor do we have any guarantee that anything written in this or any other logic forum will be read by Apple (although we sincerely hope that they do). We do know that anything sent in to them does get looked at - albeit without any guarantee that it will be acted upon.

Here are those links again:

Logic Pro:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html

Logic Express:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html

Mainstage:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mainstage.html

Soundtrackpro:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/soundtrackpro.html

Garageband:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/garageband.html

Anyway, 'nuff said, this is not the topic of the thread :redface:

kind regards

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, the point is not being embraced here. Someone else on LUG suggested a while back a rating system on Logic requests and bugs. I think that's any ideal system for conveying the needs of the money most efficiently to Apple. That's all I meant. I was expressing surprise that something that innovative isn't utilized by developers, so we could pioneer the approach here. Good vibes man, good vibes. Not trying to stir the pot here. I just want to endorse that suggestion. LUG asked how we can make it better. I am seconding that rating recommendation.

Alien, I took the liberty of creating a new thread about this, hope you don't mind.

Again, the point is not being embraced here. Someone else on LUG suggested a while back a rating system on Logic requests and bugs. I think that's any ideal system for conveying the needs of the money most efficiently to Apple. That's all I meant.

OK, understood. Have you a link to the original request?

I was expressing surprise that something that innovative isn't utilized by developers, so we could pioneer the approach here.

I doubt that anyone not working for Apple has any way of knowing, but I can well imagine that as part of Apple's internal procedures for tracking and fixing bugs, implementing user requests etc. they may very well have some such system in place. What you seem to be asking for is some sort of rating system for those wishes expressed on the LUG?

kind regards

Mark

I can well imagine that as part of Apple's internal procedures for tracking and fixing bugs, implementing user requests etc. they may very well have some such system in place. What you seem to be asking for is some sort of rating system for those wishes expressed on the LUG?

Correct, it was another user's suggestion months ago. It's a very good one. I'd like to see it implemented on LUG. At the time, admins said it could be done with work. I am reemphasizing the suggestion.

I have grave doubts that Apple's analysis of bugs and feature requests is that sophisticated. If LUG can't serve as a crucible for feature requests and fixes, what's the point of discussing it here. I would hope we could offer consolidated solutions to Apple as a united front and help effect the most needed changes as a team of innovative problem solvers, at least in terms of function.

Alien,

The problem with having a system where priority and urgency is rated by each individual user is that everyone will feel his request or need is urgent! How can an individual user be objective? Seriously, think about it.

An objective source - like the apple developers - are best suited to globally evaluating priorities. Both on the basis of the input from users, as well as their own R & D they are involved with. I can't really see the value of having a rating system subjectively established by users with varying degrees of knowledge of the program and it's features/functions.

Thanks Eli, that is a very objective and enlightened view. Proper use of the wishlist/bug area of the forum, followed up by sending wishes and problems to Apple is going to be a lot more helpful then attempting to correlate lists here.

Incidentally, it has all been done before - in fact, I remember presenting a member of Emagic/Apple staff a list of LUG wishes at the Frankfurt fair many years ago. He suggested it would be better sent in by mail. I did that, and looking back at that list a few months ago, most everything on it has been fixed or implemented over the last few logic versions. I don't believe for one second that we are in any position to have anything like the overview of all Logic wishes and bugs that Apple has.

kind regards

Mark

Come on guys. Sure everyone will rate their own problems and request the most highly but it's a numbers and averages game. People will undoubtedly disagree, but by adding up everyone's concerns, top problems will rise above others and they could potentially attract the attention of Apple first and foremost.

Eli, I love you bro, but I disagree with your perspective on Apple's divine wisdom. Consider the simple fact that for MONTHs after Logic 9 was released, you couldn't even specify L9 in the feedback form of their website. Logic, my friend, is an after thought, well after SoundTrack and Garage Band. Apple leverages their concern over Logic users (a niche groups of passionate users) against many other products that bring in more profit. We COULD and SHOULD help them understand what our needs are. They ARE interested in this kind of information. I've had numerous conversations, even with Apple engineers, that suggest in my mind that this kind of system of evaluation would be very useful to them. And I don't believe a rating system would be a flawed approach.

Back