Logic Pro 9 Re: MachFive3 plug interfacing.

Comparr

Hello,
Migrating from DP to Logic (due to crashes, memory limits, etc.)

Need little help... I saved the DP MIDI trks as a MIDI file 96 trks in all (.mid), then open Logic with this MIDI file... all trks were loaded with levels, etc...
Next, in the Logic Mixer on the Instr trk, I placed the AU plug MachFive3 (16 channels -1st instance). Fine.
The question is how to interface the Instr trk with the loaded MIDI trks. Any time I switch the channel number on the MIDI trk, it switches all of them to the same channel number. Must be in the manual, can't seem to find. With many thanks.
Comparr

Create a new multi timbral software instrument channel strip from the new track dialog box. Choose 16 for the number of sub channels. Logic will then automatically create a multi timbral software instrument with sixteen channel strips in the Arrange Window - each set to respond to a unique MIDI channel. Instantiate your Mach Five in the Channel Strip and drag your MIDI regions around accordingly.

Welcome to the world of Logic!

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply... its kinda by the book, but all 96 trks are already in the arr. window... Is there any way of interfacing them with the MachFive3 plug-in without dragging? I guess I'm looking for a wormhole...
Comparr

Upvote 0
Not that I can think of. Dragging them to the necessary tracks seems the best method from what I can deduce at this point. It also gives you a chance to verify and confirm that everything is assigned properly. I know it's not the "one click" answer you are hoping for, but we are talking about transferring standard midi files here between two different apps. I don't think it's realistic to expect an "automatic" type of solution.

Upvote 0
The other method is to right-click (control-click) on the track header which brings up the contextual menu path of Reassign Track>Mixer>Software Instrument>Instrument #

This works ok for a very small number of tracks but is guaranteed to cause a brain crash when reassigning 96 tracks. :errr:

So the most efficient solution has been already given.

When you're done dragging the regions to where they belong, you can do some clean up work by going to the local Track menu to select Delete Unused.

Side note: Former DP user here. I have a high regard for DP and all things MOTU, but nothing beats Logic for it's capacity to manipulate MIDI. Getting up to speed with M5v3 here as well. The scripted instruments are very cool.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Back