Logic Pro 9 Re: SSD for OS+ Logic 9

evoclogic

Logician
Hello To all,
I decided to get an SSD to use for my OS drive. I got a 480 gig from OWC.
My OS disk is bloated with all sorts of stuff in there over the last 3 years such as pics, itunes etc, as well as tons of demo software such as plugs that I tried out and did not buy.

My question is, should I go through the nightmare of a totally new install if everything is working fine, or just clone my current system drive on the SSD and have a nice day. Also, is there any advantage to partitioning 2 sectors, 1 for the OS, and a sector for my most commonly used plugs (all the spectrasonics stuff for ex) or does that simply not matter with an SSD.

I'm still using Snow Leopard, should I upgrade to Lion?

Hope you will give me your feedback here.
Thanks for your past support.

Best Regards,

Josh

All good questions.

If you have time, a fresh install is never a bad thing. I didn't do it when I got my new iMac, but it's still on my to do list for when I have a few days to spare.

I honestly wouldn't bother with partitioning. It can be good to have OS on one drive and audio/video on another. I'm not sure if this applies to SSD drives, but with "standard" drives, partitioning can actually make things worse I think, if stuff has to be accessed off both partitions at the same time, as the same drive head has to both. With two drives this isn't an issue. I get the feeling though that this may also not be an issue with SSD, so wait for someone with more knowledge than me to confirm that or not.

I would upgrade to Lion only if I was confident everything I need is happy with Lion. And that might include some handy but forgotten about old bit of software that needs Rosetta.

What I will do before installing Lion is make a bootable, restorable backup of my drive with SL using Super Duper, that way I haven't burnt any bridges if it goes A over T.

Upvote 0
I would second everything Pete said. I too have an iMac with an SSD drive as my main system+Logic drive. The upgrade to SSD is absolutely amazing. Logic works fantastically on it, everything is sped up, etc.

Since I bought my iMac this way, it came from the factory with a fresh install. Nonetheless, even though it's more work for you, as Pete said, it's always a good thing. Think of this: as you use your Mac, preference files and other cache data gets written and rewritten, erased and re-erased, thousands of times. There's always a chance that in there, somewhere, some sort of oddness or weirdness or other issue has developed, something that might be slowing your system down, or cause freezes or odd issues, even if it's just once in a million. If you copy over your current system, all these odd little bits and bytes that got flipped the wrong way are copied too, and you're potentially bringing your problems with you to the new drive.

That's why I think that if you have the time, even if you're not noticing anything wrong, it's worth your while to do a fresh clean install.

(also, if you're like me, your hard drives simply collect a lot of crap shareware and video files and data that you never use and forgot to delete, so this is a good way to get rid of all of it)

Orren

Upvote 0
re: lion

Hello to All,
Anyone out there using Lion with logic 9?
Any issues?
I'm using all the Spectrasonics plugs, Vienna Instruments Pro, Addictive drums (32 bit), Kontakt 4, UAD 2 quad flexi pci, Superior Drummer.

I'm being advised by the fellas to do new clean install, and I don't want to have to do it again in a few months if I don't have to, if Lion is stable, I'll go for it.

Best Regards,

Josh

Upvote 0
Pete and Orren,
Thanks so much for your reply. I will take your advice and do a new install.
I still need your feedback on the system upgrade to Lion though.

Is it working? Should I move on to the new OS?

The reason I'm asking is that it seems to make sense to make the jump now as I will just have to do it again fairly soon.
Here's my setup:
Mac Pro Quad Core 3ghz, 16 gigs ram, UAD 2 quad pci card, Logic 9.1.4, Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Trillian, RMX, Vienna Instruments, A Ton of Kontakt libraries, Ohm force, couple sony oxford plugs, and some stuff I'm probably forgetting.

Thank you for your time on this in advance.

Best,

Josh

Upvote 0
I still need your feedback on the system upgrade to Lion though.

Is it working? Should I move on to the new OS?

The reason I'm asking is that it seems to make sense to make the jump now as I will just have to do it again fairly soon.
Here's my setup:
Mac Pro Quad Core 3ghz, 16 gigs ram,

I haven't a huge amount of experience with Lion, but am running a test Installation at the moment, so can say little about some of your stuff:

UAD 2 quad pci card

UAD Plugins seem fine in Logic 9.1.6 in 10.7.2

Logic 9.1.4

I owuldn't expect any problems. Haven't started 9.1.4 yet, mostly 9.1.6, 9.1.5 and 7.2.3.

Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Trillian

Both are working here

A Ton of Kontakt libraries

Kontakt 4 seems OK, but you may need to watch out for authorisation issues with certain libraries. If a Kontakt instrument is older, for example it came with an old PPC kontakt player, you may run into problems. Lion no longer allows PPC Apps to run, rosetta has been removed.The EWQLSO Platinum I have uses an old PPC player, but it was authorised in SL before I installed Lion, and seems OK.

Ohm force

Oops, haven't actually gotten to try them yet.

sony oxford plugs

The last 32 bit versions were OK running in the 32 bit AU Bridge. Sonnox have just released 64 bit Versions. EQ, Dynamics, Inflator, Reverb and Trans Mod are all working here.

HTH, kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Kontakt and Vienna are two reasons I'm a bit nervous about Lion.

I don't mind updating Kontakt (I have one library that came with a Kontakt 2 player (Chris Hein) I also have a Knotakt 3 licence and a few other Kontakt libraries, but I always always always have installation issues, and get passed around between various tech support EastWest/NI/ etc.

Vienna is a whole other issue. I believe to update my old version of Vienna, I first have to update to build 4017, locate all projects with Vienna Instruments (!!!) save them then update and open in build 9753.

For me that is a nightmare scenario, trying to identify out of thousands of projects which ones might have Vienna, then resave them all.

Upvote 0
Assuming you don't want any down time just make sure to install it on another partition or hard drive. I have a Lion "test" drive going right now myself but am holding fast with 10.6.7 due some things not working in Lion yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Please note, I merged two threads, both dealing with the same issue.

Just to follow up, I just launched these Ohmforce Plugins in Logic Pro 9.1.6 in OS 10.7.2:

Hematohm, Mobilohm, Ohmboyz, Ohmygod, Predatohm, Symptohm/Melohman.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Mark, Dave, Pete, Orren,
You guys are all amazingly helpful, I'm humbled, and grateful for the quick responses and the help.

Best Regards,

Josh

Upvote 0
Back