Recommendations to replace my Duet2 400FW

Rusty K

Logician
Hello,
I just bought a new IMac High Sierra and I can't get my old Duet up and running. After spending money on Apple adapters the Duet shows up in audio preferences but the Maestro software doesn't pick up the Apogee system. I've been looking around for another alternative for Thunderbolt 3 but I'm not finding anything in that price range. I've seen that most every TB 2 units have some issues with certain operating systems. Suggestions?

Thanks

From the Apogee website
"Duet FireWire (2007)
macOS High Sierra (10.13): Not Supported

Ensemble Firewire and Duet Firewire users updating to macOS High Sierra can expect the same performance as with previous OS versions. Though Apogee ended official support of this product on OS X El Capitan and beyond, we will continue to make the current installer packages available on our website."

This still doesn't explain why Duet FW is not working with the new iMac.

Compare this to how well MOTU keeps old interfaces in the loop. Funny to consider that my 828 mkll works with Mac OS9 on an dual boot G4 and with macOS High Sierra on a 2012 Mac mini.

Compare this to how well MOTU keeps old interfaces in the loop. Funny to consider that my 828 mkll works with Mac OS9 on an dual boot G4 and with macOS High Sierra on a 2012 Mac mini.
I had a discussion about this with a developer making interfaces (subsequently sold to AVID). He said that at some stages of design, there is an option to bake something into the the hardware chips, or to put it in drivers. Putting it in hardware can speed things up and lower development cost, but limits the ability to update when new computers and OS versions come along. MOTU has handled this well, at least for Macs. Don't know about Windows.

What does Apogee say about this not working?
Sorry for the late response. I've been under the weather. It seems that Apogee has not kept up with the driver upgrades. I wrote them and they implied that they were "working on it, but nothing yet."

I apologize for not following up earlier but I've been under the weather.
After much debate and hassle I finally broke down and purchased an Apollo Twin. I'm pissed at Apogee but I'm even more pissed at Apple. We are herded like helpless sheep from one upgrade/expenditure to another. As I have posted among friends on FB; buying into to Apple is like stepping on fly paper....you're stuck for life. Simply because I needed to replace an old computer I've now had to invest well over $2000 to get back to where I was. Thanks to everyone for your help

I apologize for not following up earlier but I've been under the weather.
After much debate and hassle I finally broke down and purchased an Apollo Twin. I'm pissed at Apogee but I'm even more pissed at Apple. We are herded like helpless sheep from one upgrade/expenditure to another. As I have posted among friends on FB; buying into to Apple is like stepping on fly paper....you're stuck for life. Simply because I needed to replace an old computer I've now had to invest well over $2000 to get back to where I was. Thanks to everyone for your help

I hear you. Most Apple fan-boys can't bring themselves to admit it but Apple's design decisions leave me cold at times. I to am in the exact same boat you were in. I had the Apogee FW Duet as well (on a 2009 Mac Pro tower,) and now I own a MBP with those silly USB C ports... I like my Duet, but it's a brick with this new machine.
If you are digging the Twin, I'd like to hear about it. I too feel abandoned by both companies and am not sure which way to go for a Duet type of interface...

Back