Logic Pro X Reconnecting Samples in EXS

HKC

Logician
Hi there
I have just discovered that some of my (very) old samples no longer links up when I load them. I haven't really opened them for maybe 5 years but now I need them.
I know that EXS Manager used to be able to fix this but that program will no longer open on my system.
Any ideas how to reconnect the presets with the samples.......

All the best
Henrik

Pete Thomas

Administrator
Staff member
I think this is done by spotlight, try reindexing by moving the drive from Spotlight preferences then adding it back.

HKC

Logician
Thanks for the reply
Hmm I have never used spotlight. So you have a more precise "what to do".
The problem is probably that many samples in the library have the same bane.

All the best
Henrik

Pete Thomas

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply
Hmm I have never used spotlight. So you have a more precise "what to do".
The problem is probably that many samples in the library have the same bane.

All the best
Henrik
If I remember correctly

System Preferences > Spotlight

Then click on the privacy tab and you see the drives (if any) that are not indexed.

Click on the + icon at the bottom and choose your drive/s where the samples are.

Quit the prerences

Re-open and go to privacy, this time remove the drive by clicking on the minus icon

I believe this will cause a reindex (which I presume may take some time depending on the size of the drive)

HKC

Logician
Sorry for the late reply from my side. It didn't work, is there no way to force EXS to look for the samples in another place. I know exactly where they are but EXS insists on loading the wrong ones from a folder that has nothing to do with the name of the preset. Changing them one by one seems like a pretty big deal.
EXS Manager would have solved this in 2 minutes....

Henrik

Pete Thomas

Administrator
Staff member
In that case I would temporarily delete the samples that are wrong, that would force logic to ask you where they are I think.

Should work or maybe somebody will have a better method.

Colin Shapiro

Logician
Henrik:
You're quite correct that EXS Manager would have sorted this very quickly. Apple bought Redmatica many years ago, but we haven't seen any update in Logic Pro that helps to re-link or manage samples.

You should send Apple some feedback about this - maybe it will wake them up:

Colin Shapiro

Logician
In that case I would temporarily delete the samples that are wrong, that would force logic to ask you where they are I think.
Instead of deleting the wrong samples, you could just prevent spotlight from seeing them.
Open System Preferences.
Click on Spotlight.
Click on the Privacy tab.
Add the "wrong" sample folder(s) to the list.

Spotlight should no longer "see" these samples and hopefully will find the correct ones.
Be sure to re-save the .exs instrument files once they are properly re-linked.

Finally, remove the folders you added to the Privacy list.