Logic Pro 8 recording delay offset is NOT constant??

orjankarlsson

Logician
I just tried a little loopback testing and it turns out I can't get logic to have a constant recording delay offset, not even with the internal audio! 3 recordings are constant, then I get one that is not and so on...

So: it's not constant with my Mindprint trio using optical in and out,
NOT constant with the internal audio.....does anyone actually have a recording delay offset that is constant?? (Try recording up to 8 takes, 'cause some of mine where in time)

I had this problem a while back with early versions of Apogee. Once they had the drivers and firmware bugs sorted all was fine. I get a very constant offest when testing. Obviously this is crucial for any recording.

I would suggest you contact Mindprint and tell them, but check you have up to date drivers and firmware.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but the thing is: as I use the optical in and outs I don't have any special drivers....wonder if it's a logic thing then or core audio. Maybe time to get an Apogee duet or something....

Upvote 0
I'm quite sure that my offset is constant. I haven't measured it 8 times in a row but I have measured it more than that through the years always ending up with the same value. I suppose if there is something not constant it has something to do with the drivers whereas in my case it's simply calculating the time it takes to go through my converters.

Upvote 0
My offset with my Mobile I/O is completely constant (and at zero, no less).

You're using the Trio through the built-in optical I/O? I'll bet that's the problem. The drivers do not compensate for the time it takes the Trio's converters to do AD/DA conversion. How could they? The Mac has no idea what you're plugging into the optical port.

Orren

Upvote 0
Ha ha....weird: If I make an aggregate device, I get a solid constant offset... everytime. Indeed weird. It's the same optical in and out being used. Go figure. Phew!! ;-)

Upvote 0
Ha ha....weird: If I make an aggregate device, I get a solid constant offset... everytime. Indeed weird. It's the same optical in and out being used. Go figure. Phew!! ;-)

Well, well, well. If it works great. But I'd keep checking on a regular basis.

BTW, I did have extra problems with an aggregate device using Apogee, and Apogee support said that it is a definite nono with them.

Upvote 0
You can probably blame the Trio: For an aggregate device the overall latency is those of the slowest device. If you made the aggregate device with the internal interface and it works now, then I think that the internal interface is slower and overrides the Trio.

Upvote 0
You can probably blame the Trio: For an aggregate device the overall latency is those of the slowest device. If you made the aggregate device with the internal interface and it works now, then I think that the internal interface is slower and overrides the Trio.

In which case it's quite a nifty workaround but still worth trying to fix the Trio IMO.

Upvote 0
I just learned that the Mindprint TRIO has a 31 sample delay on DA and 30 samples AD. There's still 21 samples not accounted for but atleast it works. (I now set the compensation in Logic to -82 samples and for some reason that seem to work)

Upvote 0
Hold on, are you using the Trio as a converter for the internal soundcard?

- Sascha

Upvote 0
in all seriousness, I would consider a dedicated soundcard. With the event of the Intel Macs, Apple apparently decided to use the cheapest onboard soundchips there are. On my Macbook, the card adds a whooping 13 ms of latency to anything, regardless of the buffer size setting. This was way better on older G4/G5 models.
Of course that's got nothing to do with recording offsets, but it shows how cheap these chipsets are.

- Sascha

Upvote 0
in all seriousness, I would consider a dedicated soundcard. With the event of the Intel Macs, Apple apparently decided to use the cheapest onboard soundchips there are. On my Macbook, the card adds a whooping 13 ms of latency to anything, regardless of the buffer size setting. This was way better on older G4/G5 models.
Of course that's got nothing to do with recording offsets, but it shows how cheap these chipsets are.

- Sascha

Yeah, but the conversion is being done on the trio, so all the internal card is doing is receiving the signal digitally....

Upvote 0
Yeah, but the conversion is being done on the trio, so all the internal card is doing is receiving the signal digitally....

I know. But I wasn't talking about sound quality, just about the lousy quality of the chipset and its drivers. And well, if it's Realtek indeed, that is just the lowest quality consumer stuff you'll find in each and every discounter PC.

- Sascha

Upvote 0
Back