Logic Pro 8 Recording multiple softsynths live

Tom Swift

Logician
I have a situation where I want to record three softsynths using two keyboards on a live recording. Synth1 is an EXS24 with a piano sample set to midi channel1 in Logic. Synth2 is an EVP88 with a rhodes sample also set to channel1. Synth3 is another EXS24 with a pad sample set to channel2.
My first keyboard transmits on channel 1 and the second keyboard transmits on midi channel2. I want keyboard1 to play both the piano AND the rhodes sound as a layer. I want Keyboard 2 to play only the pad sound. I turned on "Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording" in the project preferences-but I cannot not get both piano and rhodes to play simultaneously on midi channel1. It WILL , however, give me the pad on keyboard2.

Is there a way to do this without environment cabling? If not what's the best way to make it happen using the environment? If I deselect the above preference, I can get the two pianos to layer but then I lose the separate pad on midi channel 2. Any help would be appreciated--Tom

Not certain if this will work, but you can try this:

* Go to the clicks and ports layer in the environment.

* Break the sum connection.

* Create a channel splitter object.

* Cable the sum output of the physical input to the channel splitter.

* Create a monitor object.

* Cable the output of channel 1 of the channel splitter to a monitor object.

* Cable the output of the monitor object to the first EXS 24 instrument.

* Cable a second output of the monitor object to the EVP 88 instrument.

* Cable the output of channel 2 of the channel splitter to the synth pad.

* This is the part I am not certain about: cable the outputs of the three software instruments to the sequencer input in the Environment.

* This setup will definitely get all the sounds to respond properly. But I am not certain about the last step routing the data properly to get recorded.

Upvote 0
Not certain if this will work, but you can try this:

* Go to the clicks and ports layer in the environment.

* Break the sum connection.

* Create a channel splitter object.

* Cable the sum output of the physical input to the channel splitter.

* Create a monitor object.

* Cable the output of channel 1 of the channel splitter to a monitor object.

* Cable the output of the monitor object to the first EXS 24 instrument.

* Cable a second output of the monitor object to the EVP 88 instrument.

* Cable the output of channel 2 of the channel splitter to the synth pad.

* This is the part I am not certain about: cable the outputs of the three software instruments to the sequencer input in the Environment.

* This setup will definitely get all the sounds to respond properly. But I am not certain about the last step routing the data properly to get recorded.
Wow!! That sure is convoluted! I sure wish Logic worked like DP in this regard. In DP all you need to do is assign the same midi channel to the various instruments. Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
Well I tried this and it works-somewhat. You hear the layer of pianos but only one of the layer tracks actually records midi data. I supposes I can copy that to the second piano track after recording-but still not elegant. Also its not necessary to cable from channel 2 of the channel splitter to the pad. You can just cable channel 2 directly from the splitter to the seq input and let "Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording" pref do the rest.
This method also assumes that I know exactly what soft instruments we want to use. Not easy to explore options with other instantiated synth channels. I wish Logic would let us dictate which channels we want to record on, KEEP THEM IN RECORD READY UNTIL RECORD READY IS TURNED OFF**, and let us choose which midi port is actively connected to them, Regardless if another synth is using that same input.

**I find it cumbersome to reselect the midi or softsynth channels everytime I make an adjustment on another track. IE-turn down the guitar a little. Every time one touches another track all midi channels are deselected for recording. EERRGGHHH!!

Upvote 0
Here's a much simpler solution to your setup. You may or may not like it.

Forget about all the environment stuff, and just revert back to the normal cabling of the sum of the physical input going straight to the sequencer input.

Now, in the Arrange Window, just make sure to record enable all three tracks. You should hear the layer no problem. And the auto demix function will take care of things.

The only drawback, is that you have to make sure to arm all three tracks when you are ready to record. It won't remember the record ready state if you make another track selection.

Upvote 0
I think there is an easier way. Go to the enviroment. Under NEW create an instrument. assign it to channel 1. drag a cable to the piano and drag another cable to the rhodes. Then play that new instrument. Done.

Upvote 0
Here's a much simpler solution to your setup. You may or may not like it.

Forget about all the environment stuff, and just revert back to the normal cabling of the sum of the physical input going straight to the sequencer input.

Now, in the Arrange Window, just make sure to record enable all three tracks. You should hear the layer no problem. And the auto demix function will take care of things.

The only drawback, is that you have to make sure to arm all three tracks when you are ready to record. It won't remember the record ready state if you make another track selection.

Thanks Eli, but the problem remains-only one of the two piano tracks in the arrange window will sound or record. Only the one that is selected. The pad track will sound and play no problem as it's receiving on a different midi port and channel. So how does one get two channels of softsynths to play and record from the same midi channel and port?

Upvote 0
Even if they are both record enabled? This is the dead simple easiest way of layering in Logic. Record enable multiple software instruments in Logic. Record. Hear everything all together, and Logic places alias on all but the selected track. The alias part won't work in your situation; but you should hear everything provided they are all record enabled.

If not, JL's suggestion is worth a try as well. That should work too.

Upvote 0
Even if they are both record enabled? This is the dead simple easiest way of layering in Logic. Record enable multiple software instruments in Logic. Record. Hear everything all together, and Logic places alias on all but the selected track. The alias part won't work in your situation; but you should hear everything provided they are all record enabled.

If not, JL's suggestion is worth a try as well. That should work too.

Even with all three tracks armed and ready, only the top synth in the piano pair(to be layered) is sounding and recording. The second track stays silent and has no signal. As if there can only one softsynth per midi channel.

Upvote 0
I think there is an easier way. Go to the enviroment. Under NEW create an instrument. assign it to channel 1. drag a cable to the piano and drag another cable to the rhodes. Then play that new instrument. Done.

I think that works but only the top piano in the arrange will record midi data.

Upvote 0
You should use this new "dummy" instrument as the track instrument in the Arrange Window. The two software instruments it is connected to technically don't even need to be in the Arrange Window at all. This way you are only dealing with one track (and one set or regions) in the Arrange Window.

Upvote 0

Thanks Jamie!! THAT works except I needed to use a monitor object to route the new instrument to both pianos. (I could only get one out from the new inst.) Many thanks to you and Eli both for taking the time to help me. ---Tom

:thmbup:

Upvote 0
Back