Logic Pro (X) recovering archive files

peterlemer

Logician
I am being asked to deliver music scores saved to 3.5" floppy many years
ago

I have 2(!) PPC 9600s, neither of which will read the discs, claiming they
are corrupt ( although both drives will read other discs.)

The only machine that will read the discs is my old 145B laptop.

I have backed up the discs to this but now I need to transfer the files to
my modern Mac Pro.

suggestions as to how to do this would be much appreciated.

( the problem of actually reading these early logic files comes next! - probably in another forum)

pete

Don't know what at 145b is but if it's an old Mac, I've been able to port over very old Mac files (and even Atari files copied to a floppy formatted on a Mac in dos format) by saving them as a disk image. To get them copied over to a new Mac it depends on the apps you have on the old one. FTP and email is feasible with these small files. I've also got a USB floppy which mounts on OS X I got as a dell accessory for $12 which comes in very handy for these things.

Upvote 0
Looking at the specs of this old laptop, it doesn't seem possible to get the files off there - no Ethernet or any other type of connection port.

Your best bet might be to get a USB floppy drive (as mentioned by bayswater above) and get the files onto your Mac Pro.

To read the old Logic files, you'll need Logic 7 as Logic Pro X won't open the old version files. The .sea files are compressed files, which you may get to open with Stuffit or some other compressed file app.

There's a chance that you may be forced to use an old Mac that runs OS9 in order to open the files or even access the floppy disks. Your PPC 9600's should work. I recall that one needed a system extension (or 2?) in order for all floppies to mount properly. (? USB Floppy Enabler)

Sorry to be vague - it's been a while...

Moral of the story: If you have old software and storage media, keep a legacy Mac running to be able to access old files.

Upvote 0
Claris email might do it. The reason for making a disk image is to help ensure file integrity during whatever process occurs during the transfer. If you could zip the files that would be even better. SEA files will probably be ok. But will they extract under OS X?

Upvote 0
Colin, the MacBook doesn't have a USB port :-(
I might have to resurrect my dialup modem and connect to the internet, though god knows that was a long time ago and I've forgotten how it goes...

Upvote 0
A couple of years ago, I purchased a G4 on ebay in order to have a OS9/OSX Tiger dual boot system on hand. I picked up a USB Floppy drive from Amazon which works great with this setup.

Upvote 0
Back