Redmatica is Gone? So Now What?

BCy2k

Logician
I recently had to move to a newer mac computer setup and was rather stunned to learn that Redmatica was bought and eventually "disappeared" by Apple Inc.

I also understand that Andrea claims to have sent out emails to every single one of his paying clients. Well, I'm a long time, licensed Redmatica Compendium owner/user and I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, I never got any such email. Nor has my registered email address changed since I first bought EXSManager and their other compendium products.

I can't remember what I spent for all this software, but I know it was several hundred dollars all in. As you might imagine, I'm none to pleased at what has happened here.

I've gathered there isn't a thing I can do about this. Has any of the EXS manager functionality been implemented into Logic 9?

My EXS24 library is 85 gigs and I think there are over 750,000 samples in it. I've begun to import the more heavily used elements of my EXS library into Kontakt 5. Is this all I can do or did Andrea, Redmatica, and Apple pretty much orphan me here?

Redmatica sent out emails, every client I have who owned their stuff got one, and the LUG had more than a few threads about the purchase by Apple.

Here's the thing: as long as you keep all your content in the same places, named the same (drives named the same, folders kept in the same place and named the same) you are fine, everything will still be seen and work perfectly. If you changed any of these things, well then the person who screwed you is you ;-)

Did you miss the part of my post where I said I never got an email from Andrea regarding any of this?

Redmatica/Andrea claims they sent out emails, but if I would have been sent one, I wouldn't have missed it as I habitually check email many times a day. Even when traveling. Plus this would have been something really important to me and would have received immediate action. If I say it didn't happen, then it didn't happen.

I'm 3 posts in the door and suddenly I'm I a liar now? Really?

Also, telling me I screwed myself here is really not being very helpful. FWIW, computers & needs change. I don't necessarily keep things organized in an identical manner from computer to computer.

So, you got any other helpful nuggets of wisdom for me?

So, you got any other helpful nuggets of wisdom for me?

First of all, I suggest you try to calm down and despite whatever frustrations you may have, try to accept that a less aggressive tone may actually be more helpful for you. It is very easy for everyone here to simply ignore someone who gives the impression of wanting to rant.

I have to say, you are the first person I am aware of who is stating that they did not get notice of Redmatica's decision to cease trading. Along with George, I too and I know many others received this news per email. It was also announced on the Redmatica website and at the time was a subject of discussion on many other Audio sites.

Having helped organise the Group Buy we held with Redmatica some years ago I really do want to vouch for the extraordinary support and attention to detail which Andrea showed then and many other times during his years running Redmatice. I'm sorry that you seem to have made other experiences.

kind regards

Mark

Please don't be offended by this, nobody is calling you anything. Forgive me for suggesting the obvious, but did you check your spam folder?

Thanks for your productive comments Mark.

This is calm.

Extraordinarily calm, considering I just found out 3 software apps I spent several hundred dollars for have now been rendered un-installable, un-updateable, can't be authorized, nor used.

In light of this, how would you have be behave? I'm not the one who told a newcomer they "screwed themselves" by not getting the email that provided a whole 4 day's notice to address the situation. Or 'screwed myself' because I chose to reorganize the content and locations of certain items on my computer.

Look, I'd had plenty of pleasant dealings with Andrea over the years and never had anything but good to say about him or his products. I currently have a problem with launching and authorizing all my Redmatica apps and I came here seeking advice.

In my OP, what exactly did I say that was so over the top to earn me this kind of treatment?

Clearly, there's no solution to be had here. Just blame.

I'm not the one who told a newcomer they "screwed themselves" by not getting the email that provided a whole 4 day's notice to address the situation. Or 'screwed myself' because I chose to reorganize the content and locations of certain items on my computer.

First of all, GLIII is one of the most helpful posters here. You may not have thoroughly read what you wrote, but you are the one who first used the colloquialism "screw" in your original post. It was clear to me that GLIII in no way came out left field to say "Ha! Look at the newbie everyone! He screwed himself!" But he was making a lighthearted pun, based on your own word. You said "I got screwed" and he said "if you got screwed, it ain't by Redmatica" and that's far from a personal attack. Trust us on this-Mark and I would have been all over GLIII in private messages if we thought he'd attacked a newbie.

As a general rule, I think that the LUG is very good at regulating it's own tone and tenor. If you write a post (as you did) with a certain level of "heat" in your verbiage, that level will be returned. But I am confident that if you dial down the heat (and we understand, you're legitimately upset, nobody is questioning that) people will answer accordingly.

That said, here's some potentially helpful advice, if you're interested. As you know, you can load your EXS patches one by one into Kontakt, resave them as Kontakt files, and you don't need any sort of 3rd party translator to do that. However, if you do want to batch convert all your EXS files to Kontakt files, you should look into something like Chicken Systems Translator Pro ($149). It's not free, but if you were looking at spending that kind of money for upgrades that no longer exist, it might be worth it to you.
http://www.chickensys.com/products/sw_iteminfo.php?sw_name=Translator+Pro

Hope that helps,
Orren

FWIW, I was part of that group-buy so I am/was a customer & I never got an email from Redmatica notifying me about anything.
Just because it was apparently being trumpeted from the rooftops as some of you are implying doesn't mean that everyone heard the news.

I found out about it here from the original LUG thread some months back and still wonder what it all means.

Just my 1¢.
Carry on.

Okay fair enough. Points all well taken.

I too, think it's a real head scratcher that I either didn't receive, or totally missed, an email from Andrea concerning my Redmatica purchases relative to their closing. I use Logic for a living. The Redmatica products I used were a valuable part of my rig. Loosing their functionality is simply not something I would neglect. This is something I definitely would have acted on, had I only known.

This wouldn't be the 1st or 2nd time someone has sent me an email that I never received. I had a studio call me about this just last week too. They were on the phone with me sending it and I was right in front of my computer - and it wasn't coming through. Same email address for my Redmatica stuff. In can happen gentlemen.

I've looked in at a few forums and I think I remember reading posts by at least a couple other folks besides me who were caught off guard by this event. And TBH, they seemed far less calm than I.

When my G5 recently bit the dust I took it to the 'Genius Bar' at my local Apple Store. They told me that "We don't support these anymore," and, "It's probably the hard drive." They knew I was bringing in a G5 too.

Well, I pulled both drives out and put them into another G5. Thing booted right up on the system drive from my dead computer. I mention this to relate to the point made earlier, that my Redmatica products should work, provided they stay in their same locations, with no name changes to drives, folders, etc. Well, unfortunately none of them would launch in this borrowed G5 machine - and this is from their original install drives. So I'm wondering if that would have worked for me on my newer Mac Pro after all?

For those who don't already know, for all intents, Translator is actually built into Kontakt as of v3.5 (that I know of), and you can do batch import, and batch re-saves. Which is great, but with 70 gigs worth of stuff left, can you at least understand why I badly miss & need my Redmatica products on my new machine?

My dilemma with my Redmatica products is but one of several "unexpected surprises" in dealing with updating and moving my setup over to a new machine. Even when things go smoothly it's still an ordeal.

So yeah. I'm a bit grumpy about it. Sorry.

Hello BCy2k,

to clarify a few things:

First, what I said is: everyone I deal with, a number of clients in the recording business, including some that I had suggested purchase the redmatica package, got an email. I didn't say you lied, I said they DID get an email. In my experience that is the truth.

Second thing, again, most of the people I deal with would really have to take considerable time in considering changing anything in their system setup, since this very issue would happen: they now be able to get their system working when going from computer to computer upgrade. I'm sorry, that is just a fact. So when you start saying they screwed you, like it's a personal thing, the truth is that you didn't consider all the options that could happen to your system.

Finally, if anybody comes here as a newbie having a bit of a rant, especially regarding a situation that affects everyone else who bought the Redmatica software, I take a tiny bit of an offense to that. I have spent a long time contributing to this community, you haven't. So I feel like a can tease you a bit, though I should have expected my ironic sense of humor would have not been well received. I had hoped that, after you stopped being so pissed off, that you might see the humor in the whole thing. I was wrong.

BTW, if you think you are the only guy or girl out there who spent money on software or hardware that is no longer supported, as a few former Digidesign clients who lost tens of thousands of $$$ of an investment in 6 months due to an upgrade.

The funny thing is, you just complained rather than spent a minute ASKING FOR HELP WITH A PROBLEM, right? If you had, I may well have sat down and spent this time composing an email that would have possibly helped you, as well as a number of people who this issue affected. That's how I tend to do things here. I mean really, who would spend 1218 posts being a total a$$. I have had a few fights with people here over the almost 18 or so years the LUG has existed in it's 3 or 4 styles, but I have spent a majority of time HELPING PEOPLE WHEN THEY ASK.... right.

So now that that is all clear, what can I do to help you? We did have to do this stuff before redmatica came along, so a solution might actually be pretty simple.

Have a nice day ;-)

. . . most of the people I deal with would really have to take considerable time in considering changing anything in their system setup, since this very issue would happen: they now be able to get their system working when going from computer to computer upgrade. I'm sorry, that is just a fact. So when you start saying they screwed you, like it's a personal thing, the truth is that you didn't consider all the options that could happen to your system.

To get work done I ran the borrowed G5 with the drives from my dead G5 in it, while I painstakingly decided what OS, which version of Logic, and overall setup I wanted to run on my new machine. I'm not sure why we're talking about this, but while I may be a Logic Users Group newbie, it would be a mistake to presume I'm a newb at Logic, Macs, or pro studio installations & setups. My setup is tailored to my particular workflow needs. FYI, it's all working fine, except for my EXS24 library situation.

The entire reason I'm here is the perfect solution for this situation went away. Completely unbeknownst to me. I don't deserve to be ignored, or penalized because in spite of all best efforts, the Redmatica notification system failed to work for me.

I was totally shocked when I found out what happened with Redmatica. Still am. This was roughly 2 weeks ago. I did searches. Tried everything one would normally try. This is a big deal to me.

I'm not here to argue, or have my choice of words be judged. I'm just explaining it how this feels from my perspective. Call it ranting. Venting. Whatever.

Andrea was ALWAYS fair and way above average all my dealings with him.

This isn't right. That's about all I have to say about it.

I simply HATE venting!!!! It is something one does to make one's self feel better at the expense of others!

i feel so much better now that I got that off my chest :)

I simply HATE venting!!!! It is something one does to make one's self feel better at the expense of others!

It's not always at the expense of others - but if I've scarred anybody here, I'm truly sorry. I mean this.

No worries, I was just kidding. Understand, George and I are old hands at this stuff and we do not get upset very easily.

That said, the prevailing cultural ethos on Facebook and forums where everyone seems to feel the need, and feel that they have the right, to air everything they are thinking and feeling as if it should be of some importance to others is IMHO deplorable. This is the age of universal narcissism.

I've just checked back through my emails (I never delete anything) and I also did NOT receive any email from Redmatica about the change, despite having purchased the suite of 3 apps. I just tried using EXS Manager to relink some samples and it doesn't work any more :(

I've just checked back through my emails (I never delete anything) and I also did NOT receive any email from Redmatica about the change, despite having purchased the suite of 3 apps. I just tried using EXS Manager to relink some samples and it doesn't work any more :(

I also did not receive any email, I have bought from the apple store both promanager and autosampler.

Funnily enough, one can find autosampler latest version on the net ; and I am still running my previous legit version.

I am clearly aware that I woke up way too late when I checked to update the tools again, but should we all be punished for that ?
Not really fair, but at the same time we might have andrea next iteration on Logic Pro X soon :)

I'm in the process of updating my '08 MacPro (new drives, etc), and moved my EXS samples to a renamed drive. I relinked using EXS Mgr Pro 2.9, which worked, but I'd love to be able to use the last iteration, ProManager 3.3.4, as well as the other last versions of the dearly departed Redmatica software--AutoSampler 2.3.2, and KeymapPro 2.3.4. I DID get the email from Andrea, and purchased upgrades to all of these apps. Only problem is I did NOT get any of the pdf. manuals for them. Does anyone know where I can find these 3 manuals?
Thanks in advance for any info.
jgs77

Right click on the application for which you want a manual, then select 'Show Package Content' then go to the 'Contents' folder then go to the 'Resources' folder, then search for a large pdf with keywords user / guide into the file name ... done :)

But you can more easily access the user manual from the Help / User's Guide menu of each application, then save the documentation in your user documents folder as an example ...

Thanks for the suggestions, Fabulowski. Unfortunately, there was no user guide .pdf in the file path "contents/resources". I launched ProManager, and attempted to access the user guide from the help window, but got a message: "download failed". So....I'm kind of back to square one. Is Apple giving any support thru the App store (or anywhere else, for that matter)?

I can no longer remember how, but after finding I had lost these purchased apps, someone (Andrea? Some kind LUGger?) posted a link to download the last versions of them, and I got them all after all. And it turns out, I got the User Guides too, so here is a link for you to download them: https://app.box.com/s/d31qz98k54lq5of4k86f

Back