Logic Pro 9 renaming and editing audio file

Edgold

Logician
:eeek:Several questions here:1. I've followed the instructions about renaming the audio file I'm using but it reverts after I change it in the audio bin. It does remain in the track header. I managed also, I don't know how, to delete all the audio info but I found something marked "dup" and it imported with all the plugins I gave it, to my relief.

2. Though I used a pitch correction plugin, I will have to edit individual sections of the waveform and I have no idea how to do this. (sample editor?) This is, to me, again, "rocket science".

3. Can I fade the sample at the end of a phrase as the singer whoopsed it in one or two places?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

2. Though I used a pitch correction plugin, I will have to edit individual sections of the waveform and I have no idea how to do this. (sample editor?) This is, to me, again, "rocket science".

Yes sample editor. select the part of the wave form, then in the Factory menu you will find 'Time and Pitch machine" There are several algorithms so some trial and error may be necessary until you know what works best for you.

Although destructive to the waveform, you can "undo" these edits, but I advise to do it straight away before you do too much else.

3. Can I fade the sample at the end of a phrase as the singer whoopsed it in one or two places?

Destructively in the sample editor, (Functions menu> Fade out) or non destructively with a region fade

Upvote 0
Thanks Pete but I'm completely flummoxed by this.

I made the mistake of going into a YouTube tutorial done by a young guy who threw out all kinds of terms without explaining them and I have little or no background in them. EQ is still mostly a foreign concept to me.

I think I'd better try to follow your instructions for the moment but I really don't know what I'm doing.

Upvote 0
New problem: I shortened the end of a phrase but want to lengthen the audio again. Problem is that there is a disastrous drop in pitch after the initial attack which only becomes magnified when I lengthen it. Is there an easy way for me to even out the waveform?

I can shape the fade and use silence after it but not until I remove the pitch drop.

Upvote 0
New problem: I shortened the end of a phrase but want to lengthen the audio again. Problem is that there is a disastrous drop in pitch after the initial attack which only becomes magnified when I lengthen it. Is there an easy way for me to even out the waveform?

Only alter the length after the pitch drop. (As this is destructive editing, you would need to go bak to the original file. If you don't have that, this is a good way to learn about backing up for the future!)

Or:

Autone/pitch correction plugin

Melodyne plugin.

Upvote 0

Only alter the length after the pitch drop. (As this is destructive editing, you would need to go bak to the original file. If you don't have that, this is a good way to learn about backing up for the future!)

Or:

Autone/pitch correction plugin

Melodyne plugin.

I have the original mp3 file I received and I think I'd rather reimport that and put it in as another take as I don't want to lose my already-done edits. As I'm not familiar with takes, this is another can of worms.

My nephew, who has a background in audio and waveforms has been helping me to understand the various things in Logic but he is drooling over the Logic software which I showed him on Skype. (Alas, he is a PC!)

I have and will have many more questions especially about the EQ windows but will put those in another thread.

Upvote 0
I have the original mp3 file I received and I think I'd rather reimport that and put it in as another take as I don't want to lose my already-done edits. As I'm not familiar with takes, this is another can of worms.

Takes are really only relevant when recording audio live, not importing audio files from outside.

Yes, it's great you have the original. When undoing audio it can get very confusing, and dangerous as I said, edits are destructive.

If you do edit A
then edit B,
you need to undo edit B before you can undo EDIT A.

Upvote 0

Takes are really only relevant when recording audio live, not importing audio files from outside.

Yes, it's great you have the original. When undoing audio it can get very confusing, and dangerous as I said, edits are destructive.

If you do edit A
then edit B,
you need to undo edit B before you can undo EDIT A.
Thanks Pete but maybe I can rephrase the question: I now have my partly edited audio track and have added a new audio track with the unedited original aif under it. Of course I can mute one or the other for playback but the question is how can I deal with the one section I want to restore? Can I delete the edited section (already sectioned off, what's the term? Chopped?) and paste from the second track?

Or can I "chop" the second track and just move it into place on the first track?

Upvote 0
What I'd do at this point is select the section of your edited region and use the command "set locators by region". Then I'd select the unedited region on the below track and use the command "split region by locators". (These are both found in the local Regions menu.) You'll have a perfectly trimmed region. Delete the region on the top track and drag the lower region up. You may want to smpte lock or use the shift key while dragging (limits movement to one direction) to ensure your region start time is perfect.

Upvote 0
Then you must have used the marquee tool? That would work. Glad you got it resolved.
No, it dragged fine with the pointer tool. I've only used the marquee for choosing when the others interfered with the data.

Now I badly need to investigate the flex options as the last phrase, which begins all right, needs to be lengthened in the audio sample. not sure where the instructions are for that.

Upvote 0
For detailed flex information start with Logic's help menu.
Thanks Doug,

It's often very difficult to find anything in the help menu but will try again. But I've made some progress with the flex tool with the help of YouTube and have more or less finished the file.

Upvote 0
But a new problem: in another similar file, the audio track will not display in the sample editor as it did in the first. It says "nothing to display" and I need to edit a few pitches.

What gives? I'd moved all my desktop files to the hard drive icon folder but I did a search and found the audio.

Upvote 0
If you haven't done so, you should download the PDF version of the manual. You can search using key words - most people prefer it.

Regarding your file it's possible that while you know where it is, Logic doesn't since you moved it. If you found it, why not bring it into the project and see if you can open it in the sample editor If so, delete the old one.

Upvote 0
How do I find the pdf to download?

I thought I did find it and bring it into the project but no dice. Maybe if I create another audio track it might work?

Upvote 0
Thanks. I've downloaded it.

Yes, I know how to import audio now but the only way I can get a sample editor for the vocal is to import it alone without the MIDI. And pasting tracks after deletes the audio. So I will have to edit the audio and paste it into the project file.

Upvote 0
Glad you found the PDF, hopefully you'll fond it useful. I know I have.

Regarding your audio file, what you describe simply doesn't make sense to me. I think it's one of these situations where I'd need to look over your shoulder to help you. As long as you're getting some work done, that's good. Perhaps someone else can provide additional insight.

Upvote 0
Back