Logic Pro 9 Resizing audio

digi001

Logician
Ok I am new to Logic and I am a previous cubase user.

So far I love many of the features in logic and it feels like a much more professional piece of software.

I watched a video series of the basic tutorials but I am still confused as to how to do a basic audio recording task.

Say i record an audio part over an 8 bar drum loop but it goes a little past. I like the part and now want to copy and paste where i need it throughout the song. Before i do this i want to lock the part to the 8 bar grid.

-----> So Why can i not easily drag the audio back until it locks right at the end of the 8 bars? This seems to be a chore every time. If i switch to bar snap, it will give me intervals of bars but with the extra offset of time i went past the 8 bar end point.

Can anyone help? Do i really need to use scissors and chop the excess audio off to accomplish this? This is the only work around i came up with so far.

Use Flex time. Enable Flex Mode (Command-F or toolbar button), then select the proper flex mode for your track. As a general rule, monophonic for single notes and solo vocals. Polyphonic for chords. Then drag from the right edge of the region until it fits where you want. If you want it to lock to the end of the bar, make sure your snap mode is set to either "Smart" or "Bar." You only have to do this for one region. You can then copy this wherever you want in your project.

Upvote 0
I wasn't reffering to FlexTime. Im talking about normal audio. I dont want to flex it, I just want to trim it so that it is locked into a few bars, so that I can copy and paste it throughout the song.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised that dragging the region 8 bars later doesn't lock it to the right place; it should snap to whatever bar you drag it to, and if there's an unwanted 'tail' underneath it the new region at 9 1 1 1 will take over. Unless it's a MIDI track, in which case anything you played past the 8 bars will be mixed with the new repeated region. If that's the case, then yes, you do have to snip the end off.

I don't use the scissors for this, though, I have a Key Command set up for "Split Regions by Playhead" and I'll just enter Bar 9 as the playhead position and hit that. Or you can enter the length as 8 0 0 0 using an Event Float or Event list. That's the thing about Logic, there are usually three or four ways to do what you want...

Upvote 0
So Why can i not easily drag the audio back until it locks right at the end of the 8 bars? This seems to be a chore every time. If i switch to bar snap, it will give me intervals of bars but with the extra offset of time i went past the 8 bar end point.

Change your snap setting to Absolute Value

Upvote 0
Well i was using the so-called 'Smart' snap and I assumed it was snapping to the bar. But then after copy and pasting (looping) it 20 or so times I noticed it was getting off the grid. I went back to look at the original segment and it was very close to the bar, but not on the money.

I will try snapping to abolsute value when I get back tonight.

Upvote 0
Back