Logic Pro 8 roland XV /Logic MIdi frustration

mazgurg

Logician
lessening logic midi xv frustration

O.K.
SO I meticulously went thru the 32 "voices" (as suggested by GBLACK) and selected appropriate midi on and midi off for the first sixteen voices and the second sixteen voices, saved the changes to the template PR_A 01 Seq-Template in the XV5080.
I now have sixteen stable tracks of midi that open the correct instruments to the correct tracks in the correct songs and then actually re-open- without fault!- and that is also with ALL the correct Roland patch names.
now the only problem I have is notes sustaining, not as frequently as before but they still sustain.
I bought the Logic 9 upgrade and will see what effect this has on the state of things. Lets see if I can get rid of these sustaining notes.
Anyway thanks to Gblack for your persistent suggestions and those extensive XV5080 ENVIRONMENTS
Mazgurg

gblack

Logician
Your persistence is a virtue, Sir, and apparently has served you well.

We all knew you could do it, if you stayed with it!

My guess is that, after playing with the 5080 long enough, you won't get rid of it.

mazgurg

Logician
xv 5080 hanging notes

O.K.
so I still have the hanging notes in midi mode. Upgraded to Logic 9, reinstalled 10.6.2, upgraded M audio drivers. Thats all I can think of. That seems to be everything. All midi cords and usb cords in setup renewed.
Any ideas?
No hanging notes when using VST's and none when XV5080 is disconnected to logic
HUH?
cheers
Maz

I wonder if if a midi out you are using is really set to, or is, a midi thru on the XV 5080. Tis might cause a midi loop. Somehow there is something wrong happening with midi. Try disconnecting the midi out cable/s from the XV 5080 ane see if the hang-not problem goes away. If the problem does go away then the connection to the XV ix causing the midi note hang problem. There is also a possibility that you are really connecting the midi in of the interface to the midi in of the XV 3080. I'm sure the problem is somewhere in the midi interface to the XV 3080 midi. Sometimes there may be a problem with the interface not resetting properly and you have to disconnect the power to the interface after shutting the computer down and then plug the interface back in and then re-boot the computer. I can't think of anything else right now, but I will try.
Frank

mazgurg

Logician
thanks Frank for that, I disconnected the midi out cable however the note hanging continued. Twice double checked that I had the correct midi cables connected to the correct in and out etc.
I connected a Tascam Midi interface to my set up and discovered that all but 1 channel were free of the note hanging problem. It was channel 1. Flabbergasted I saved all my settings and reconnected my M audio to discover that all channel were hanging notes. Not being one to jump to conclusions. I went back and checked my midi settings on the roland XV 5080 and then reconnected the Tascam interface. This time I had all channels without hanging notes except one which this time was channel 2. I don't understand why this would have changed. I had'nt changed anything within logic. So i tried again. I closed down logic and shut down the XV and restarted everything. same story. 15 tracks with notes not hanging and 1 track (channel 2 ) with notes hanging. Just to be sure I connected the Maudio one more time to find as usual all tracks hanging.
I have no explanation for this behaviour but I am going to get a new midi interface.
3 times I downloaded the latest driver for OS10.6.2 and installed it but the M audio still hangs notes and the tascam doesn't.
I have run out of ideas.
Maz

Hi
I use an M-audio 2X4 and a Tapco 4X4. I have found this problem more with the M-audio interface and the Tapco has been very good. What M-audio interface do you use?
I used to use a M-audio 2X2 that started giving me a lot of trouble and my system has been a lot more reliable since I got the
Tapco and stopped using the M-audio 2X2. It does sound like ab interface problem, but you will only know for sure when you try a new one. I think the tapco does not require any other drivers on the Mac OS. I am using OD 10.5.3, but I have read tht there are some problems using OS 10.6.... If you continue to have problems, it might be in the OS. I am actually using a Macbook with a bad screen and a DVD Writer that cannot be used. I have the Macbook running an external 24" Acer Monitor and a Lacie external D2 and booting from an external Maxtor 250 GB Firewire 400 HD with the OS 10.5.3 and Logic Studio 8 and all other software on the External HD. The internal HD of the Macbook does not actually get used at all. My system workd well, but I would like to get a new Imac 21.5 or 27 etc.. I have actually tried booting from My External Maxtor HD with it's OS 10.5.3 and did not seem to have any problem on the new Imac. So I know the new Imac can run on OS 10.5.3, I don't know about installing Logic Studio 9 on the Imac and running Snow Leopard, but i have heard this will work fine. I also use Appleworks which would need to run with Rosetta. I also run Filemaker Pro 7 and Office and several other Apps. We'll see!
Frank

gblack

Logician
MAZ:

A few years ago, I got tired of the Midi frustration and gambled on a Motu Express 128. That has been a life saver. USB powered, 8 in and 8 out, and you can get them for about 225-250 at the major distributors. It's "almost" flawless; sometimes on a restart I have to unplug the USB cable and stick it back in. But I have so many synths feeding off this thing, and so many controllers in, that I can't fuss. Also, my Mac Pro is an earlier dual duo-core, and they have some firewire issues.

Motu is not my favorite manufacturer, but this unit is really solid. That, and the FireFace 800 has worked out very well.

Best luck,
Gblack

mazgurg

Logician
So here is the final reply:
gave up on the M Audio Firewire audiophile, bought a Presonus firebox and suddenly I have a stable set up. No notes sustaining. Everything as it should be.
I must say that you have to remain patient . So in summing up, I was unclear about the correct settings on the XV 5080 and the Midi Interface performed incorrectly. Thanks to all who helped me thru this - especially all the excellent detailed information on the correct settings for the Roland Module- that was an invaluable lesson.
cheers
Mazgurg