Running Ethno (and other multi-timbral synths)

daveyboy

Logician
I've gotten in the habit of running Kontakt and Play in single instrument mode and love it. After just updated Ethno and using it this week for various sounds I got very frustrated very quickly in not being able to process each instrument individually in Logic's channel strip. So, I started to split things out to their own output, or bounce down to audio, etc. Finally, I said "screw this" and just made individual Ethnos for each sound as I'm used to doing. So, I think that will be my new workflow for this VI. I continue to run Omnisphere and RMX "as is" but occasionally bounce down a midi track if I need to process it beyond normal. What do you guys do with these things or is it based on what you need to do when?

I've gotten in the habit of running Kontakt and Play in single instrument mode and love it. After just updated Ethno and using it this week for various sounds I got very frustrated very quickly in not being able to process each instrument individually in Logic's channel strip. So, I started to split things out to their own output, or bounce down to audio, etc. Finally, I said "screw this" and just made individual Ethnos for each sound as I'm used to doing. So, I think that will be my new workflow for this VI. I continue to run Omnisphere and RMX "as is" but occasionally bounce down a midi track if I need to process it beyond normal. What do you guys do with these things or is it based on what you need to do when?
There's several ways you can do this, but I'll suggested this way based on your current setup.
4EB069C8B8D1D5445B4EC67D9294B542.png

When you load your single instrument, select Multi-Output of the instrument, not Stereo. When you do that you'll see a '+' sign for the instrument channel in Logic's Mixer to create addtional aux channels for your Multi-Output. So in the case of StylusRMX, you can create up to 8 aux channels.

Once you do this, you need to tell StylusRMX which of the aux channels you'd like the loaded instrument in Stylus to go to, you do that on Stylus's Mixer Page with the "OUT XXX" selections.

Kontakt requires an addtional step on thier side, I'll post that video once I find it again.

I'm showing StylusRMX right now because I don't have Ethno installed at the moment but the concept is the same. :D

Thx Bruno. Yeah, I know all the workarounds. I like using kontakt and Play in single instrument mode. I'll sometimes put an rmx or omnisphere instrument in it's own output, or, just bounce it down to audio. When working in ethno I decided to just make new ethno instruments per track ala kontakt. It wound up being faster and easier to deal with:) I know it's been discussed at length that logic "likes" kontakt and play to be spread out like this as it distributes the processing across the cores more evenly. I assume ethno (and some others) are lighter on the CPU to begin with so probably it's not a big deal using them traditionally and using multiple outputs when necessary.

Back