Logic Pro 9 Saving Custom Channel Strips

ekalavyadas

Logician
Hi. I'm a newbie, so please don't mind.

Today, I took a track I recorded in my home studio in Logic to a pro studio.

We mixed in Logic. Now I want to save all the pro engineers' eq and fx settings on my vocal tracks, etc, to see if I can apply them to other songs that I am working on, and try to mix at home.

How to save the complete channel strips?

How to just save individual aspects like eq?

What 's the best way to store / categorize them, so that I can find them again easily?

Your suggestions and comments are most welcome.

Thanks.

-- eka

How to save the complete channel strips?

Go to the top of your channel strip, in the Mixer or Inspector or Environment.
The very top slot (above the EQ) says [Setting] by default.
Click-hold there and you'll get the Channel Strip menu. Near the top, choose [Save Channel Strip Setting as...]

A dialog will open with a default path:
Your computer/your drive/Users/your name/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/Track
The last item may also be Instrument/Bus/Aux depending on the kind of strip you have selected. (These folders should already exist from your Logic installation)

This path is where your settings should go on your computer.

However, from the pro studio computer, just save the settings into a folder and name them so that you'll know what they are. When you're back home, put them in the path above.

Then, when you want to load a channel strip, the setting will appear in the same menu I mentioned above.

How to just save individual aspects like eq?

Similar story:
Click-hold on the pop-up menu to the left of the Copy button. You'll get a menu with the option to [Save Setting as...]

The default path for EQ settings:
Your computer/your drive/Users/your name/Library/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/Channel EQ

What 's the best way to store / categorize them, so that I can find them again easily?
Store in the paths as above - they are the defaults for Logic. You can always create sub-folders if you like eg [Settings from the Pro mix]

Hope this makes sense...

Regards
Colin

Upvote 0
Mhmmm ... maybe we should mention a small detail: You should save or copy the settings to an USB stick or something. They are not included in the project and won't make much sense for you at home, when they stay on the harddisk of the studio ;)

Upvote 0
One little ethical thing: you did check with the mix guy and see if he was cool with you taking his settings? I know that I would always prefer that someone I work with ask me if they can use them, rather than just take them, and there are times (like when I'm working on something as a favor for for a very cheap rate) where I would not agree that anyone take them.

Upvote 0
Thanks Colin, Peter, and George for your good advice.

I forgot to mention that I carried my external hard drive to the session, and we did all the work on that. I plugged my drive into his computer by firewire. So, when I walked away with my hard drive, I walked away with all of his eq and channel strip work, right? So the settings can be saved to my computer as mentioned in the posts above?

Ethically, he's a good friend and we exchange work often, but yes, I agree that it is nice to ask him.

Nice to see that there are ethics amongst the logic users group.

-- eka

Upvote 0
We're definitely an ethical crowd here..... :thmbup:

So the settings can be saved to my computer as mentioned in the posts above?
Yes, just open the project and select and save each setting as described (to your main drive). Don't forget to give the settings names that will make some sense in future.

Upvote 0
You know, this thread gave me an idea for a side business. Collect great EQ/Effects settings from famous engineers and sell them to home users...

:)

Upvote 0
Back