Logic Pro (X) Score view refuses to show all overlapping MIDI notes as multiple voices

DouglasScott

Logician
I have imported a MIDI file which represents two pianos, with each piano represented by a single MIDI channel, and so one Logic track for each. For the most part, each track *sounds* like a single voice -- but the notes are written to overlap by very specific amounts. All of this is visible in Piano Roll view, but no matter what I do with the Staff Style and voice counts, Logic refuses to notate each piano staff as multiple voices, alternating the notes to show and allow the overlap. Using voice splitting does not work because of the nature of the music: the pitches leap by up to 4 octaves. So, in pictures, how do I get the following:
Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 12.40.48 PM.png

to display as a 4-beat held F1, stem down, followed by a long, stem-up A2 and G4, etc? What I get is:

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 12.44.59 PM.png

so on each staff, I lose the overlaps.

Thanks!

It's not very clear what you mean. In this case the bass clef needs two (polyphonic) voices.

View attachment 2700

Or did you want the A2 in the treble clef? To display polyphony, you need a polyphonic staff style, but if it is meant to be two pianos then I would have thought you need to piano staves.

1) This is the 2nd piano's part only. 2) No, I wanted what you show, with two overlapping voices in the bass clef portion of the 2nd piano's part.

I understand my confusion now: When I switched the staff style to have 2 voices in the bass clef, it looked like this:

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 8.03.03 AM.png

The missing step is I had to go into the Staff Styles panel and carefully adjust the upper and lower voice boundaries. Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0
Back