Logic Pro 8 Score window question

BuddyGuit

Logician
Hi,

Why does Logic beam note incorrectly in the score window? Say for example beat one is an 1/8th note followed by a 1/4 note and then another 1/8th note. Instead of an 1/8th note (with a flag) and then a 1/4 note then another 1/8 note (with a flag) Logic will beam them all and tie the and of 1 and beat 2 together. Like this:

ScoreQuestion.jpg

Does that make sense the way I'm asking?

I've tried to figure out how to fix that but I'm stumped. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Buddy

Thanks. I've tried that but then other things go goofy. Like a 1/16th rest followed by a dotted 1/8th becomes a 1/16th rest followed by a 1/16 beamed to an 1/8th and tied.

Upvote 0
Hi Buddyand welcome to the group. Colin has practically taught me how to use the score, so you can trust any suggestions he gives you. The score is an effective, if antiquated part of Logic and I also learned a lot from the manual written by Thomas Prischl in 1997, the "Logic Notation Guide", it is only available from his web site so google that name and manual and get a copy-it is really the most comprehensive description of how and WHY some things are as they are. Colin-good luck!

Upvote 0
I entered a similar passage, and agree that Colin's suggestion solves your first issue. All the editors in Logic are connected, so the presumption is the user knows how everything works together.

Can you upload screenshots of your event editor, your matrix (piano roll) editor, your score editor, your score parameter list and your arrange window..showing the regions giving you a problem? There is indubitably an explanation. You may need to modify your score set, or merge some regions, etc.

Also, how are you entering your data? Playing passages with a MIDI keyboard into the sequencer? Note entry into the score editor? Modifying note lengths into the event editor? Drawing pitches and durations into the piano roll?

Upvote 0
Thanks. I've tried that but then other things go goofy. Like a 1/16th rest followed by a dotted 1/8th becomes a 1/16th rest followed by a 1/16 beamed to an 1/8th and tied.

No, that should work fine (see attached). Make sure you have max dots set to 1 or more (not 0)

Also note that you can force syncopation on individual notes if you don't want to have it on as a default parameter. You do this in the attributes menu.

Attachments

• scoresyncopation.jpg
    scoresyncopation.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 178
Upvote 0
I find I memorize the syncopation key command and apply it to notes as needed. Seems to me that the syncopation command for the track can create as many problems as it solves and I find better results addressing individual notes. Logic score editor works great, just spend a little time with it.

Upvote 0
I just noticed this is about Logic 8, so apologies if my answer is not correct for L8.

However I agree with Doug, I will usually work without syncopation activated, and very quickly syncopate individual notes as necessary.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses. So Pete you are saying I can just highlight the notes I want to apply the syncopation to?

I'm trying to use the syncopation button on individual note but it seems to always do the whole chart.

I see you don't have Interpretation checked. I usually work with it checked as I am not a pianist and often do not hold notes their full values etc.

Logic 8 by the way.

Upvote 0
Select the note in question. Go to attributes menu, select syncopation. Select force. See if there is a key command assignment to it. If not, assign one and memorize. It will be your friend ;)

Also, generally use interpretation for playing parts live, if you do drag and drop or step entry, defeat it. This can also be manage at the note level as well.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses. So Pete you are saying I can just highlight the notes I want to apply the syncopation to?

I'm trying to use the syncopation button on individual note but it seems to always do the whole chart.

No, that won't work, that button is either on or off for the whole region.

Once the note is selected, go to the Menu: Attributes>Syncopation> Force Syncopation.

There is a keyboard shortcut which is much quicker, I can't remember what it is right now.

Upvote 0
Back