Logic Pro 9 score window

Edgold

Logician
I have many questions but one right now:

I have changed the double click option in preferences to open the score but, though one project does open all tracks in that window when I double click one MIDI region, another one only opens the track I clicked.

How can I get the complete score to open? I don't know how to select all midi regions.

There are a number of ways to do this. One would be to go to the arrange window, select all the regions you want displayed in score, then press Cmd + 3.

I suggest you take a look at logic's standard orchestral template to give you an idea as to how a scoring project in logic can look. This should help you grasp some of the basics. To access this, File -> New, then select Compose -> Orchestral. Make sure to go through the screensets in this template, they are set up to help illustrate a number of ways to view a project.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Thanks Mark,

The standard shift-click in the MIDI areas will not allow me to select all tracks but the "edit menu-select all" will and I was able to open all notated clefs in the score window.

In many cases I don't want to have a short clef appear but it does anyway and one track that starts later doesn't align with the beginning. But I have to read up further.

I have seen the orchestral template in fact but haven't yet done the screensets which I will.

BTW: I have posted the mp3s of both files (music I composed) I mentioned as flash player files on my website:

http://www.egoldmidincd.com/About_Once_Again.html

http://egoldmidincd.com/inconnue.html

The original Harmony Assistant scores can be seen with the Myriad plug-in but the flash player towards the bottom of the pages should be visible and audible by pressing "play".

Ed Gold

Upvote 0
I have changed the double click option in preferences to open the score but, though one project does open all tracks in that window when I double click one MIDI region, another one only opens the track I clicked.

How can I get the complete score to open? I don't know how to select all midi regions.

Maybe it's Link mode that's bothering you. If you're in Content Link mode (the little chain icon is yellow), the score window will always show the selected track only by default. Double-clicking anywhere on the score background (or clicking up a level next to the Link button) will then display all tracks/regions.

Your full score may also be affected by the current score set. "All Instruments" is the default, but maybe you have a score set that displays only certain parts.

In many cases I don't want to have a short clef appear but it does anyway and one track that starts later doesn't align with the beginning.

Do you mean a short "stave"? (not clef)
That's how Logic works - it shows regions exactly as they appear in the Arrange window. If you want all your parts to line up from bar 1, you need your regions to begin at bar 1.

Upvote 0
A normal workflow for many score users is for the double click in arrange to be used tor view just that one region.

BUT:

If you want to do work just on more tracks in the the score it's best to open a whole new score widow from the windows menu. Best to do this in a different screen set, then you can flick very quickly between the main arrange page and score.

And yes, if you want to always see the full score, or whatever scoreset you have chosen, then the link button should be inactive.

Upvote 0
one track that starts later doesn't align with the beginning.
Ed Gold

On this particular point - make sure the region start times are the same. Even if there are several bars of silence before any notes happen. That way the proper number of bars can be displayed, even if they are rests,

Upvote 0
Thanks, Colin,

Yes, "staff", as we say in the States, is actually what I meant of course. And now I see about about the link mode which solve the problem.

Upvote 0
Back