Logic Pro 9 screensets with missing tracks

peterlemer

Logician
v strange happenings today:

L9.1.1
OSX 10.6.4

a short project with 2 MIDI tracks and 3 audio.

On screenset 1 I have arrange on one monitor and mixer on the other

there are 9 tracks on view:
o No output
o vocal x 4
o trombone
o flute
o MIDI piano
o click

screenset 2 is exactly the same except that where 1. is zoomed out to see the whole song, 2. is zoomed in for more detailed editing.

yet when I switch to screenset 2, I only see 2 trombone tracks with identical regions. One of them has a cut region, which doesn't exist in screenset 1. although it coincides with a cut in the vocal region, the mixer on the other monitor only shows one audio track (trombone), and I can't select the regions with my mouse.

I've deleted the screenset and replaced it with a clone of 1. and that's OK so far.

any ideas why this has happened - it all takes time away from production of course :-(

pete
There are no other songs in the background.

this project is buggered. Whenever I try to open a trombone comp it crashes.
Disk Warrior didn't solve it.

So I went to a backup, which opened fine, as did the comp.

As soon as I split the region, though, I got the same behaviour: missing tracks in second screenset.

Undo the cut, and the screenset behaves.

This suggests that cutting comps is not a good idea.

any ideas?

pete

Upvote 0
Not that it matters with a smaller project as you describe, but the Import function from the Logic Browser is a powerful and elegant means of transferring data from one project to another.

Fingers crossed, but I've not had any corrupted files to date. It's good to hear that transferring the data into a new project worked out.

Upvote 0
thanks CSeye. In fact I was wondering about Import Audio, since I had used that to start the new song.

I have 7 shortish songs by the same lineup: poet/piano/trombone/flute. so it seemed sensible , having mixed one track, to use 'copy Audio configuration' in the mixer page.
This meant consistency of plugins, including mastering.

I wonder if this confuses L9, leaving the original setup competing in the system?

I don't want that to happen again, whatever it was <shudder>

pete

Upvote 0
I've never used the Copy/Paste Audio Configuration up to this point. My initial test run today yielded inconsistent results, especially with aux tracks, when starting off with the same number of audio/aux channel strips. No doubt I'm missing some step to reproduce the configuration.

The Browser Import functions seems to work a bit better.

Download the document Import2 here. It's a quick tutorial I threw together.
https://www.drivehq.com/folder/p7537724/1570688203.aspx

It's easier to select all (command-A) to select all project elements rather than shift-clicking as I indicated in Import2.

Hopefully getting your content into a new project will be smooth sailing.

Cheers

Upvote 0
> My initial test run today yielded inconsistent results,

interesting - I might try a similar test tomorrow

> Download the document Import2 here. It's a quick tutorial I threw together.

that is lovely - I wasn;t aware of that feature.
What happens if the destination song already has tracks? When I recorded this lot I used the same configuration, but once I started mixing the first one, I started to add plugins, set balances, routing etc, and that's what I'd like to bring in to the next song.

Have you tried 'overwriting' an existing song?

pete

Upvote 0
There are two options when importing: Replace and Add.

You can Replace one track at a time by selecting an empty track or track with content (audio or MIDI) in your new project, then select one track in the Import Browser (audio or MIDI), click Replace. An empty track is filled with the selected items from the Browser. An existing track's content, or plug-ins, etc are replaced with the selected items from the Browser. A MIDI track can replace an audio, an vice versa.

Clicking Add, will add the selected Browser items to the new project, whether empty or with existing content (which remains intact).

I just started testing out this import functionality and it's pretty darn amazing!:thmbup:

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Solved in part - what's missing is my understanding.

there's a little arrow in the top LH corner of my arrange and mixer windows.

Clicking it expands the tracks on view to the correct complement.
So I guess there's a sort of collapse/expand folder mechanism which I was not aware of.

What's it called in the manual?
why is it there?
How might I unknowingly activate it to show a subsection of tracks?

( I'm thinking that perhaps I've implemented a duplicate keystroke)

cheers

pete

Upvote 0
there's a little arrow in the top LH corner of my arrange and mixer windows.

Clicking it expands the tracks on view to the correct complement.
So I guess there's a sort of collapse/expand folder mechanism which I was not aware of.

The mechanism is folder hierarchy - look up folders in the Logic manual.

Clicking the arrow top left takes you one level up the hierarchy, until you get to the "root" level. You can also do this in Arrange (and other windows) by double-clicking anywhere on the background. If you are in Link mode (look at the Chain icon next to the arrow), your mixer window will follow your Arrange - same with Score and Piano Roll.

Could be that your original problem arose from unwittingly having packed folders?

One more thing...
Beware of pasting Environment layers and configurations. You may end up with duplicate objects and this is guaranteed to cause problems.

Hope this helps
Colin

Upvote 0
> Could be that your original problem arose from unwittingly having packed folders?

no folders at all. Is there something in the manual about hierarchy where there are no folders?

> Beware of pasting Environment layers and configurations. You may end up with
> duplicate objects and this is guaranteed to cause problems.

this has crossed my mind! :)

thanks Colin

Upvote 0
thanks for the testing, especially if its been triggered by my request!

Will explore this - I have a new project starting today so it will be interesting to see what I can do

cheers

pete

Upvote 0
One of the benefits of problem solving issues on forums such as this one is that I'll tend to explore a function that I might not typically use or to dig deeper.

I had recently worked through how to use the Browser Import function when related questions came up on this forum.

Hopefully the solutions covered here will be helpful to others.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Back