Searchable Audio Bin

mk3

Logician
The Audio Bin really should be searchable.

What's odd is that the other three Media areas (Loops, File Browser, Library) all offer the familiar search box, wherein Spotlight technology is inexplicably indicated by...a magnifying glass.

What's odd is that the other three Media areas (Loops, File Browser, Library) all offer the familiar search box, wherein Spotlight technology is inexplicably indicated by...a magnifying glass.

Although it's not specifically searchable, you can sort by different criteria in the Audio Bin. So, if you sort by name, and know the name of what you are looking for, you should be able to find the file in question fairly easily.

The magnifying glass icon is indeed not a good ideal for search (it ought to be reserved for zoom). The history of this is that Apple used to have something called "Sherlock" about 10+ years ago which was their search engine in the Finder. And so a magnifying glass made sense because it is very closely associated with the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes.

It hasn't been called Sherlock for a looong time, so the magnifying glass should have been abandoned.

Although it's not specifically searchable, you can sort by different criteria in the Audio Bin. So, if you sort by name, and know the name of what you are looking for, you should be able to find the file in question fairly easily.

Yes, that's useful, but still becomes tedious when the list becomes long. Also, every time I bounce with "add to audio bin" selected, ALL the audio files expand to show their regions (including all aliases) in the Audio Bin window, which makes an impossibly long list. Then I have to option-click to close all these sublists, which takes a few seconds again each time. As some of my projects have thousands of regions, this becomes quite unwieldy.

A search function would just seem to be an oversight, as virtually any other list in any Apple software (including the Finder) is searchable.

mk3

I agree. At this point the list options are incomplete. For instance it would be useful to list by sample rate, or disk/folder location, or dates! It is hard to work in this winow at this point.

It's ironic that a normal finder window is more useful than the audio bin.

True, quite funny/sad, that. Rather defeats the purpose.

I do like the integrated window approach for most functions, now that I've gotten used to working this way, but the Audio Bin is one of those Logic 8 features that just seems half-finished (like Takes and a few other bits).

...mk3

Back