Logic Pro 9 Select equal subpositions bug [multiple notes in measure]

kendradog

Logician
Logic 9, Lion.

I have a single MIDI track. When I select one note and then "equal subpositions", the notes in other bars with same subposition are correctly selected.

When I select 12 notes from the first bar, including the note selected in the first step, and then "select equal subpositions", only 10 notes from each of the other bars are selected. The last two notes in each bar that should be selected, aren't.

Is this a known bug? Is there some limitation that there can only be 10 notes selected from equal subpositions? :angryfire:

A screenshot of the MIDI is here:
HJR6s.png

I had selected the 12 notes in the first measure and used select equal subpositions, and as you can see, only 10 notes in the subsequent measures are selected.

Is there some limitation that there can only be 10 notes selected from equal subpositions?

I have noted that as well previously and to my opinion it is some kind of 10 events limitation rather than bug.

By the way "Select equal subpositions" seems to be some kind of global command which can not be customized. That's way I highly recommend the Transform Window "Subposition" condition.

Have a look at Fig.1 where I have created some scenario similar to your example - i.e global selection and it works as expected.

In Fig.2 the Subposition settings are same as in Fig.1 but I added a D2 note pitch Condition so the result D2 selection inside that subposition etc.

A.G

sub_pos_a.png

(Fig.1)

sub_pos_b.png

(Fig.2)

Upvote 0
Is there some limitation that there can only be 10 notes selected from equal subpositions?

I have noted that as well previously and to my opinion it is some kind of 10 events limitation rather than bug.

By the way "Select equal subpositions" seems to be some kind of global command which can not be customized. That's way I highly recommend the Transform Window "Subposition" condition.

Have a look at Fig.1 where I have created some scenario similar to your example - i.e global selection and it works as expected.

In Fig.2 the Subposition settings are same as in Fig.1 but I added a D2 note pitch Condition so the result D2 selection inside that subposition etc.

A.G

sub_pos1.png

(Fig.1)

sub_pos2.png

(Fig.2)

These graphics don't show up on my browser.

So one can use transform to select equal subpositions even if one does not intend to do the transform one is selecting?

Upvote 0

"Bug" is more accurate than "limitation" in this case.

Silent, undocumented, unwanted, and unexpected behavior is a bug, not a "limitation".

Upvote 0
It's a bug.

Having spent an hour or so trying to get this to work (selecting more than 10 notes), trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, searching for solutions on the Internet, relaunching Logic, restarting the computer and scratching my head in bewilderment I have also come to the conclusion that it is not a limitation. It's a bug.

Upvote 0
So, now that you found a workaround, did it work for you?

Having spent an hour or so trying to get this to work (selecting more than 10 notes), trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, searching for solutions on the Internet, relaunching Logic, restarting the computer and scratching my head in bewilderment I have also come to the conclusion that it is not a limitation. It's a bug.

Upvote 0
Hi, Yes, I was working with 32nd notes - I've used the feature many times before and never noticed that you can only select 10 notes. I changed the time signature to 2/4 and 1/4, which worked for what I was trying to do.

Upvote 0
Nice. I am glad I ran into this thread. Made me remember the Transform dialog is my friend in many of Logic's rough spots. Cheers.

Hi, Yes, I was working with 32nd notes - I've used the feature many times before and never noticed that you can only select 10 notes. I changed the time signature to 2/4 and 1/4, which worked for what I was trying to do.

Upvote 0
Back