Logic Pro 9 Sending pre-recorded MIDI files to externals

jollyroger

Logician
Hi, Thanks to anyone who can advise. All I simply want to do is play already pre-recorded MIDI files on my external GM module. Audio MIDI Set Up seems to recognize my interface and device but Logic will only pick 'IT's instruments.
Am I missing a simple step? OS9 was SO much easier. Again thanks for reading.

Hello,

Reassign each External MIDI track to a different channel of your instrument in the Library. See attached example.

The separate channels of your instrument will appear in the Library when you click on the numbers on the instrument in the MIDI Instrument Layer of the Environment (Logic Window menu>Environment. Navigate to the MIDI Instrument Layer.

Attachments

• Ext MIDI.jpg
    Ext MIDI.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 183
  • MIDI Instr. Layer.png
    MIDI Instr. Layer.png
    32 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 0
Hi CSeye, Thanks for answering and I wish I understood. I've already tried to set up a template with my ALESIS QSR (set to GM mode), with 16 different channels/tracks. I thought when I opened a MIDI file it would at least recognize my set up. If I'm finally able to understand your directions; must AI do this all the time or can I set up a TEMPLATE and would that take care of it as I imagine. Roger

Upvote 0
can I set up a TEMPLATE and would that take care of it as I imagine. Roger

Yes, when you set up a template with tracks designed to trigger your external module, you can use it for future MIDI files. Make sure to drag the MIDi files into the open template, that way they will be placed within the template.

If you simply import the MIDI file, Logic will create a project populated with it's best guess at appropriate software instrument tracks to correspond to the MIDI tracks contained within the MIDI file.

Upvote 0
If you simply import the MIDI file, Logic will create a project populated with it's best guess at appropriate software instrument tracks to correspond to the MIDI tracks contained within the MIDI file.
As far as I remember if you hold down the Option computer modifier key while you import a MIDI file it will prevent that "guessing". I'm away of my Mac right now and can not try but there was something around...

Upvote 0
I've already tried to set up a template with my ALESIS QSR (set to GM mode), with 16 different channels/tracks.
Does your Alesis and it's 16 channels appear in the Library, similar to my first screen shot in the previous response? If yes, then you're in good shape.

Yes, when you set up a template with tracks designed to trigger your external module, you can use it for future MIDI files. Make sure to drag the MIDi files into the open template, that way they will be placed within the template.

That works great. New learning here. :)

Just to add to this, drag the file into the Arrange, then drop it next to the first track in your template. All imported tracks will line up with your template tracks. But if you drag the MIDI file into an empty area of the Arrange, Logic will create Software Instrument tracks (loaded with Garage Band instruments) vs External MIDI tracks which is not what you want in this case.

Logic still doesn't know what sounds you intend to use, so you'll still have to select each track one at a time, then select the Alesis MIDI channel in the Library to assign it as you wish (again referencing my first screen shot).

Upvote 0

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply. I dragged a MIDI file (via your suggestion) from the desktop into (my attempt) at a GM Alesis QSR template. I experienced that all the (dragged) MIDI files aren't necessarily in numerical order. Sometimes they'll put drums on top. And I guess when people keep their drum files exploded, I have to make sure that channels 11 thru 16 aren't playing a drum track. I wonder if upon further exploration that an opened or dragged MIDI file could use the external's sound pallet, regardless of the order the templates MIDI channels are

Upvote 0
I've noticed that when IMPORTING MIDI files that 120 bpm is chosen, but when OPEN is chose the original tempo of the composer is kept. Just as this is true, is it possible that there's a further way to add specifics to my template OR project file that may AUTOMATICALLY choose the correct MIDI channel upon seeing what the imported/opened/dragged files are spelling out? Again much thanks to ALL answers!
JR

Upvote 0
A question about my own study..... I'd be more than happy to research this myself as well but I was overwhelmed by Logics 1,200 page manual. Could anyone one tell me what chapter(s) I should read to understand more of this? Thanks for reading. JR

Upvote 0
Unfortunately it seems from what I can tell that when importing midi files you have to choose between importing the tempo/signature map, or importing into your own template. I don't think you can do both.

The work around is to import using the Import command so as to get the correct tempo/signature info imported in the process. Copy this tempo map to the clip board. Then open your real destination template that you want to use. Drag in the MIDI file so they are placed in the project with your instruments set up the way you want. Then paste in the tempo map from the clip board. It's inelegant, but will get the job done.

Just to play devil's advocate here: if all you want ot do is play standard MIDI files through an external sound module, why use Logic? It's not the best software for this specific task. A dedicated MIDI file player is simpler and more direct in terms of what you want to do.

Maybe an app like this: http://qmidi.en.softonic.com/mac

Upvote 0
On 08.03.2013, at 00:27, Roger Erickson <roger@songwritersden.com> wrote:

Hi Eli,

Thanks again for communicating with me. I am truly appreciative.

Now to embarrass myself; I got my degree in Music Synthesis from Berklee in 1990, but I haven't kept fresh on the technology.

I used to run a recording studio in LA mainly for songwriters. Simply helping them with supplying chords, arranging,etc.

Now I'm in WA teaching drum lessons. I want to be able to replace the 'funky' drum track that a song may provide and supply a simpler version along with sheet music to my student. My students are anywhere from 12 to 16 yrs. old.

I had literally no problems running Cubase 5 with my Mac running OS 9.1. I only recorded MIDI and used two ADATs to take care of Audio.

It seems like this simple desire to play pre-recorded MIDI files and send them to an external synth requires so many steps? I just knew a little bit of running Cubase and this need was met SO easily.

Sincerely,
Roger

Upvote 0
Ahh, so now the plot thickens. You don't in fact just need a simple MIDI file player. You want to replace drum tracks and print out notation. In that case, Logic wil do the job!

You'll have to figure out what work flow will work best for you in terms of MIDI file templates and importing tempo maps. But I think once you've got a few under your belt, you'll get a template together that has the following:

1. MIDI tracks pre set up to trigger your external sound module

2. Audio tracks set to receive the outputs of your sound module, so you can easily bounce everything down at the end to give to your student. maybe with and without drum tracks to practice along with?

3. Tracks set up for the new drum parts you want to program.

4. Score window set up to display the drum notation as you like it for the new parts you will be programming.

The only complication will be at the beginning of projects that have tempo maps. Import them the "wrong" way temporarily, to get the tempo information and copy it to your clip board. Close it. Open your template. Drag in your MIDI file. Paste in the tempo map. You may have to temporarily open it "wrong" a second time to grab the time signatures tracks if necessary.

It's not perfect, but if you really are doing it often - which it sounds like you will be, you'll get into a flow that works for you.

Upvote 0
I'm not NEARLY that deep into Logic Express 9

Hi again, Your over complimenting my abilities (really) I'm really simplistic. I'm using Finale's Print Music for 'very' simple drum beats. Either by 'stepping' them in or (eventually) transferring a MIDI file from Logic.

I was truly excited by the title 'Logic 9 Express'. I was more of a simple composer using MIDI basics than tweaking patches while at Berklee. I chose to compose 3 pieces of music using a number of synths, using controllers, etc. THAN creating 10 patches in 3 synths.

Much thanks again for extended reading.

I'm not opposed to my own study as well. Can you recommend where in the Logic manual I can find the answers to the type of questions I'm burdening you with?

Back in Cubase VST 5 , OS9 days..........

I didn't set up a template. Cubase just asked me what synth did I want to use when NEW or IMPORTED files were created. There could be 25 drum tracks : Being an exploded drum set and a percussion part, and 1 Grand Piano track on the bottom and Cubase would send them to the correct channel regardless of it's location.

After my basic song was created I would then (using OMS) to send the tracks to any one of 50 synths (mostly rack mount).

I'm trying to accomplish this with Logic. Possible?

Upvote 0
I don't recall there being a whole lot in the manual with regards to importing standard MIDI files. Maybe try searching the pdf for MIDI file, or Import?

Upvote 0
The Logic User Manual (available in the Help menu) has a chapter entitled "Project and File Interchange" which addresses working with MIDI files.

But I gotta ya, there's more useful information contributed by various individuals in this thread, then what you're going to get from the manual.

Back in the day, I would load a floppy disc into an Alesis Data Disk in order to transfer the MIDI file into the Alesis MMT8 hardware sequencer. After assigning the MIDI channel for each part within the confines of a small LCD window, the hardware sound module patches needed to be set up. Once all set, both hardware and sequencer data was backup to floppy disc in the Data Disk. Fun times.;)

Not to stir things up, but have you considered using the excellent range of software instruments provided in Logic? The user manual has a chapter entitled "Working with Instruments" which covers use of external instruments that you're using now, but also using software instruments.

Ok, that's not what you're asking about.
At this point, just work through the import process in order to get used to how it works in Logic.

Attachments

• Tape Sync.jpg
    Tape Sync.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0
Back