Logic Pro 9 Sending Program Changes on Logic

phaluska

Logician
Hi there!
I was hoping someone had some suggestions for me as I'm going a bit nutty with this problem.
:brkwl:

I am trying to have Logic send a program change command on a specified channel (4, for my purses) to a program on my computer that is set up to receive it. For what is worth, I would like to send a program changed to this program midiStroke that will convert the midi command into a keystroke which will then start a powerpoint slide show and change the slides.

So, I went about creating a external midi track to route the program change on the IAC Driver Bus 1. I then created the program change (channel 4, value 20, num 20...tried other values as well). When I play the track, I get bizarre things happening- i get a flurry of midi IN signals with varying values (like 0,20 and 32???), occasionally, I get a midi out signal, which does send the keystrokes desired, but it seems to not stop (instead on 1, it seems to rapidly send commands)...also playing the track can set off a 'freak out' response in the "options" menu where its seems to be repeatedly firing and I must force quit logic. Any thoughts? You would save someones sanity today!:D

Thanks- Paul

Attachments

• step1.jpg
    step1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 169
  • step2.jpg
    step2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 146
  • nomidiout.jpg
    nomidiout.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 156
  • closeup3.png
    closeup3.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 151
  • closeup4.png
    closeup4.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 151
I am trying to have Logic send a program change command on a specified channel (4, for my purses) to a program on my computer that is set up to receive it. For what is worth, I would like to send a program changed to this program midiStroke that will convert the midi command into a keystroke which will then start a powerpoint slide show and change the slides.

According to your picture closeup3, Logic is receiving the program change message. My wild guess here is that there is a MIDI loop back in your setup somewhere...:eeek:

The other pictures are too blurred (lack of resolution) to be useful...:confused:

Another thing to consider is that midiStroke is probably issuing key commands that triggers something in Logic (as Logic is responsive to many key commands)...

Upvote 0
Atlas,
Thanks a lot for the reply. Yes, after taking snapshots of the desktop, I realize the forum doesn't allow big files (understandably). Those are great points- I think I was triggering some key command in logic. Interestingly, if I just space out the program changes to say every 5 measures or more (instead of 2 or 3), it works just fine! Any closer in time and the system goes berzerk and appears to loop back (perhaps endlessly). So, I guess I have a workaround for now. Thanks again for helping. Paul

Upvote 0
I went about creating a external midi track to route the program change on the IAC Driver Bus 1.
As it was mentioned you have a midi feedback issue cause the IAC Bus 1 is routed back to Logic via the Physical Input. To prevent the feedback go to the Logic Click & Ports environment layer and cut the "Sum" cable of the Physical Input. Patch separate cables from the different Physical Input Port pins to the Sequencer Input object or to the Input View monitor. Do not patch a cable from the IAC Bus 1 pin !!!

Upvote 0
Tangra,
Thanks for the reply! This actually answers many questions for me! I have never been to this layer- I will give it a shot. I am sure this will help me stop the feedback. Thanks! Paul

Upvote 0
Tangra,
Thanks for the reply! This actually answers many questions for me! I have never been to this layer- I will give it a shot. I am sure this will help me stop the feedback. Thanks! Paul
...just a note. Tried it and it worked perfectly! Cut the Sum cable and patched a separate cable from Bus 2 input port (which nothing runs on) to the Input view monitor. No feedback. Was able to immediately have my track control powerpoint slides as desired. Thanks Atlas and Tangra for the input! Paul

Upvote 0
Back