Logic Pro 9 Sends and busses

Edgold

Logician
I've added the new Logic version of the first piece of my Central Park Suite, "The Lake". But I decided to now jump to the last, titled "Angel of the Waters (Bethesda Fountain) as I'm still learning to do things and want to get what I wanted in the first place, in that file.

After I wrote the piece, I added a recording I did from the sounds of the actual fountain which I walked around, getting a variable stereo effect. But what I really wanted was a fixed stereo effect that encompasses the entire field as a sort of surround sound.

I know how to import the audio file, I want to pan it but I don't entirely understand about the busses and sends or whether that's the best way to do this. I notice also a "surround" option but I don't know if it refers to that.

Thanks in advance.

For mp3s of Logic file of "Lake" and Myriad of "Angel":

http://www.egoldmidincd.com/centralpark.html

You might look into a microphone specifically designed for this purpose. Interestingly enough there is a guy who invented a specific technique and microphone and started a company called 'Soundfield'

Check this out:

http://www.soundfield.com/products/sps200.php

It's a computer controlled system via an AU plug-in (works in Logic!)

Feel free to contact me if you need more details : )

Upvote 0
Thanks Eddie. I have solved the problem by other means: I exported the original audio track as a mono track and then used, as an insert, the modulation>spread. Anything else I did seemed to interfere with the mp3 export.

Upvote 0
what I really wanted was a fixed stereo effect that encompasses the entire field as a sort of surround sound.

I know how to import the audio file, I want to pan it but I don't entirely understand about the busses and sends or whether that's the best way to do this. I notice also a "surround" option but I don't know if it refers to that.

In future its best to make sure your recording is in stereo if you want the best stereo representation of it. Expensive mics are great but you can buy a little stereo lavalier mic very very cheaply which will give you great sound. (I bought one for recording outdoor sound effects - originally for use with my Mini Disc recorder but it works really well with my iPod Nano too)

Other than that anything that you record in mono will come out in both the left and right channels if you keep the pan control central.

Artificially creating a stereo image can work but its never going to be as good as recording it in stereo in the first place with a well placed microphone on a good quality digital recording system (preferably in WAV or AIFF).

MP3s are fine but its always best to keep the quality of the original as good as possible to start with.

Its all about the source!

Upvote 0
Actually, the original audio file is stereo but I converted it to mono when I exported it. Thanks for the input Stephe but it works perfectly fine the way I have it and I already have tons of microphones, some of which probably still work and might be suitable. I think the spread is probably unnecessary since, as you wrote, the mono conversion willl come out both channels.

The chances are that I'll never need to do this again but I will need to learn to use faders on the audio of this file.

Upvote 0
Back