Logic Pro 9 Setting from MainStage to Logic9

Ming

Logician
Hi, can't I copy a channel-strip setting from MainStage and paste it into Logic9? It doesn't seem to wanna show up there.

Don't worry, it's not possible to paste channel strips. What you should do is to save it from Mainstage and open it from Logic. To save or load a channel strip in you click the little box named "Setting" at the top of the strip. Then a drop-down menu shows up. In Logic the media window's Library tag duplicates this functionality with a better view.

Upvote 0
Can you try it once please? I read what you write and do what you say but without success. I copy the ch-strip setting in MainStage and choose a strip in logic but the paste button is dimmed. I tryed to save the MS setting as an instrument but Logic can't open that document. The programs seem to be un-compatible to me.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I save it as a channel strip setting of course, but there is no load option in Logic's ch-strip settings, only a paste option and that is dimmed. I can't get it.

Upvote 0
There are generally no load functions, neither in Mianstage nor in Logic. You save your channelstrips for example in Mainstage, preferably in a special folder like "My Settings" to identify them in both programs:

20091114-qhqf2tif3ufp26f3emq29s5his.jpg

And afterwards you find the saved settings in both programs right in the menu. Here it is in Logic:

20091114-c6guxe2byu7nf1ay6hkisaqxhu.jpg

It does not work if you save the settings "somewhere". The path is
<user>/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channelstrip Settings/
and the channelstrip types must match, in the example it is an instrument.

20091114-eygnsrcwgfhkj1irum1ywuqyyn.jpg

<rant mode on>
I don't know what for the distinction between channelstrip types is any good, but we have this silly (sorry ...) system since Logic channelstrip settings were invented. We are not allowed to load audio settings to a bus without any reason from the users view. I would even like to load a certain instrument setting to an audio channel, why not? It wouldn't load the instrument itself but why not the effect plugins?
<rant mode off>

Upvote 0
That will shure fix my problem, many thanks. I'll save it as a "my setting" in the settings folder and it will show up as an own one in ch-strip. Effect settings from from instrument-tracks could well be useful on audio and vice versa. //

Upvote 0
<rant mode on>
I don't know what for the distinction between channelstrip types is any good, but we have this silly (sorry ...) system since Logic channelstrip settings were invented. We are not allowed to load audio settings to a bus without any reason from the users view. I would even like to load a certain instrument setting to an audio channel, why not? It wouldn't load the instrument itself but why not the effect plugins?
<rant mode off>

I believe that this was initially done for internal reasons, relating to the internal order of plug-ins. For example, even though the pop-up menu on a software instrument track is in the middle of the channel strip, it is, I believe, internally still the first plug-in, as it was back in the Logic 4 days of "Audio Instrument" tracks. So in this case, adding an Instrument setting on an Audio track would result in a completely wrong order of plug-ins-the first audio insert plug-in would be an instrument, which obviously wouldn't play. And the reverse would also be true-inserting an audio setting would try and place an effects processor into the instrument slot.

I have no idea if this is still the case or not, but that's how I believe that it got started. But I agree, from a user's point of view, the organization scheme is a bummer.

Orren

Upvote 0
For example, even though the pop-up menu on a software instrument track is in the middle of the channel strip, it is, I believe, internally still the first plug-in, as it was back in the Logic 4 days of "Audio Instrument" tracks. So in this case, adding an Instrument setting on an Audio track would result in a completely wrong order of plug-ins-the first audio insert plug-in would be an instrument, which obviously wouldn't play.
Yes but this is a only a small issue for a programmer. At least I think when everybody is able to handle this problem in the environment just by adding 1 to the slot number, it should be a no-brainer for a developer.

Furthermore, the situation you mention does only apply to instrument channels. But Logic does not differentiate between instrument and other channelstrips (what we do in the environment) but sees all channelstrip types different. We can have a setting for an audio channel but are not allowed to load it into a bus instead, although the slot organization is identical.

This method must be intentional but I don't understand why it was implemented this way. I managed to hack some setting files and make them available for more channel types but it is not worth the effort. We can simply load a setting to a channel that fits and afterwards move the plugins over to another type of channel. Still an unnecessary workaround in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Back