Logic Pro (X) Show Signal Routing into an Aux?

Descartes

Logician
Hello -

Is there a way to show the signal routing into an Aux, i.e., all the sources that are sending signal into the Aux?

The revelation would be like the Single track view in the Mixer, except that view shows the signal routing after the given single track, whereas I want to know what comes before the given channel strip.

To clarify: Which sources (tracks, other auxes, inputs, etc.), if any, send signal into a given Aux, whether directly or via sends?

For example, if I have a reverb aux, and am considering editing the reverb parameters to better suit a given track using the reverb, I want to first know which other tracks (if any) are using that reverb since they will also be affected by the editing of the reverb.

Thank you for any advice.

A summing stack will provide the functionality you describe.

Using an orchestral template as an example, assign all string tracks left of center to an aux with reverb. Place the aux channel strip in the tracks area. Select all "strings" and aux to create a summing stack. Repeat with strings right of center, brass section, and woodwinds. The same idea applies to a rock tune or EDM.

Any processing to the reverb with eq will better fit the needs of that particular section vs. a broad range of tracks feeding one reverb. And you'll always know which tracks are feeding a particular reverb.

Attachments

• Summing Stack.png
    Summing Stack.png
    70 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 0
A summing stack will provide the functionality you describe.

Using an orchestral template as an example, assign all string tracks left of center to an aux with reverb. Place the aux channel strip in the tracks area. Select all "strings" and aux to create a summing stack. Repeat with strings right of center, brass section, and woodwinds. The same idea applies to a rock tune or EDM.

Any processing to the reverb with eq will better fit the needs of that particular section vs. a broad range of tracks feeding one reverb. And you'll always know which tracks are feeding a particular reverb.

Thank you for the response, CSeye...I'm not quite comprehending your suggestion though. Are you suggesting that one process the entire summing stack with the same reverb? That would not handle the situations where various tracks are sending to different combinations of auxes in different amounts (e.g. vocal sends to Delay 1, Plate and Hall 1; snare sends to Room and Hall 1; snare also outputs to Drum (Submix) Aux and in differing amount sends to Parallel Drum Aux).

Also, I do not have the luxury of re-designing the projects from scratch. I am often working on projects "in progress" (either my own or others) and just wish to be able to look up what signals are "feeding" a given Aux. If it's not possible in Logic, that would be a very valuable feature.

Thank you again.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, a "single track"-type view of all tracks feeding an aux isn't available.

There are no straight-forwards answers to your question.
Summing stacks are not limited to one reverb or delay. This suggestion was provided as it is the most visual connection.

You can view the tracks' Sends destination in the mixer and compare this with the aux inputs.

Labeling the effects busses by type - Bus 1>drum verb, Bus 2>voc delay, Bus 39>voc verb, etc. can be a way of organizing and identifying what goes where.

Mixer View menu>Channel Strip Component>Notes will let you make a text entry of the tracks feeding the aux. If the aux is in the tracks area, then the larger note pads area is available.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you, CSEye.
Your suggestions are very useful, and will help in keeping track [sic].

This problem also arises in my own projects since I work with large templates which already have many auxes set up with my favorite reverbs, compressors, distortions, etc. So initially none of those are in use, but some subset of them will become used as the project develops. What I have done now to help keep track: Initially set all those Auxes to 0dB fader level, and muted as well, and Hide them. Once I use an Aux, I unmute it and set the fader appropriately, and un-Hide it. This allows multiple visual cues to differentiate the used from unused Auxes (fader level, mute status, Hide status). This doesn't show which tracks are feeding the Aux, but at least does inform me whether a given Aux is already being used. This also allows me to clean up easily towards the end of a project by deleting some or all of the unused Auxes.

My main concern, of course, is to avoid the following scenario: Adjust plugin settings on an Aux for a given source track, without realizing that I have now changed it for other tracks that share the same Aux.

Meanwhile, I sent in a feature request to Apple to allow the sort of routing look-up I am seeking, if it is technically feasible.

Best regards

Upvote 0
Back