Logic Pro (X) Snap Question

asimmd

Logician
Hi All

Could someone please tell me how to turn the Snap function off in Logic X.

I have looked in the manual but I don't understand what it is saying.

Thanks

Alan

Holding control allows for finer resolution. But to move completely freely of the grid, you need to hold down Control and Shift.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies

It was so much easier in 9,don't know why they changed it.
I bought the video,but that doesn't mention it,well not that I could find.

Alan

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies

I bought the video,but that doesn't mention it,well not that I could find.

Alan

A suggestion, Alan. Why don't you give feedback to Apple about this. Perhaps they'll listen. At the top of the Logic X section of this forum, there is a post by Orren Merton on "How to find/use Logic Pro X feedback link." They need to hear from us.

Karen

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies

Alan

I'm not sure what you are finding to be different. The function worked exactly the same in previous versions of Logic. Movement is based on the snap setting. Finer resolution is achieved with the Control key. Add Shift to that to move completely free of the grid. It's always been this way.

One thing I have noticed is that there is a kind of "magnetic" snapping that goes on behind the scenes. When you get close to a region boundary the movement pulls you towards the landmark. I actually find this useful, but it does seem to be undocumented. An no one else on any of the forums (that I have seen) seems to be talking about this.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys

Seems I was thinking of a different DAW when i said it was easier before,sorry.

Maybe i am not explaining myself very well,here goes.

What i want to do is be able to line a track up with a track i have been sent,it's impossible to do this while Snap is on,I can't find a way to turn it off.

Also,when recording an Audio track,the guitar may start 4 or more bars into the song and I would like to be able to grab the beginning of the track and move it to just before the song starts,so tidying up the tracks.

This i don't know how to do either.

Yes i have RTFM but same as the video Eli,I can't find it,and search says nothing found.

Alan

Upvote 0
What i want to do is be able to line a track up with a track i have been sent,it's impossible to do this while Snap is on,I can't find a way to turn it off.

Drag the region while holding the Control and Shift keys. What isn't working when you try this? Or you could place the playhead at the beginning of the source region by using the key command for go to selection start. Then select the one you want to line up, and use the pickup clock key command (Move region/Event to playhead position)

Also,when recording an Audio track,the guitar may start 4 or more bars into the song and I would like to be able to grab the beginning of the track and move it to just before the song starts,so tidying up the tracks.

To do this, you're best off either using the Export Track As Audio file command from under the File menu (this will render one audio file the length of the track from the beginning of the project to the end); or place a small dummy region at the front of the track, select all on the track, and do a bounce in place. Or solo the track, set the locators from the beginning, and bounce the track either offline or in real time.

Upvote 0
Hi Eli

Many thanks for the replies,I think we are at cross purposes here.

In the Logic X video,in the Edit section you move the end and beginning of a section,saying we have covered this previously,if you can tell me in which chapter it is covered I can watch it for myself.

I am obviously not explaining myself very well,I do apologise,must be having a serious senior moment today.

In order to get rid of the unwanted parts of the track i am using the scissor tool to cut as close as I can get,then using the erase tool to delete that part.

Thanks

Alan

Upvote 0
In the Logic X video,in the Edit section you move the end and beginning of a section,saying we have covered this previously,if you can tell me in which chapter it is covered I can watch it for myself.

Can you point me to which video I said this in? I'll check it out and see what you are referring to specifically.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi Eli,no problem.

Video is Logic Pro X Explained - Editing - Working in the tracks Area - Time 2.07.

You move the back of a track called Plectrum Keys,left and right.
I want to do this at the beginning of an Audio track.

I recorded guitar yesterday where the backing started at bar 2 but the guitar didn't start until say bar 5.
I hit record and let it run till the guitar came in and carried on recording.

Now finished recording I want to go back to the beginning of the guitar track and get rid of the silent 3 bars at the start of the track,this will allow me to do this.

Hope that explains it better.

Thanks

Alan

Upvote 0
Make sure you are using the Pointer tool. If you aren't sure which tool is selected, press T to bring up the tool menu, and choose the first tool, the Pointer tool.

You may need to zoom out vertically in order to get enough height for the Pointer Tool's "hot spots" to become active.

Position the cursor near the bottom of the region boundary, the icon changes, and it turns into a trim tool. Click hold and drag. Movement will be based on the Snap values, which you can over ride with Control and Shift.

This should work perfectly fine for what you describe, trimming the first three bars of silence from an audio file.

Upvote 0
Hi Eli

Thank you ,yes it works at the End of a track to move backwards towards the beginning,but i can't do it at the beginning of the track to move towards the right.

It just highlights the track and waveform if i go far enough.

Alan

Upvote 0
Hmm, it should move freely at either end. Is the Track protect switch (a lock icon) enabled in the Track Header by any chance? Or is the region itself locked?

Upvote 0
If you have any way to upload the project, I can take a look at it. Send me a private message if you want to do this.

Upvote 0
Back