Logic Pro 9 solo string samples

Edgold

Logician
I don't see any in Logic (?) such as violin, viola, cello etc. solo samples. I see ensemble patches and violin sections for example. Do I misunderstand or am I looking in the wrong places?

Hello,

Do you mean that you don't see EXS 24 instruments with those names?

You did a complete install of Logic 9?

You have an EXS24 inserted in the Software Instrument track I/O slot?

If yes, open the Library tab. You should see a Factory folder which contains among others a folder named 09 Orchestral. You should find what you're looking for there.

If not, you may not have installed all EXS 24 and Garage Band instruments. I had this same issue recently. Checking all of the relevant boxes on the installer fixed the problem.

Upvote 0
I believe the original poster has all the ensembles (sections), but is looking for solo instruments.

I did a complete install of Logic 9, and I don't have solo strings either.
CSeye - what are the names of some of your solo string EXS instruments?

Edgold - you may have to look at other options, such as VSL (Vienna Symphonic Library).

Upvote 0
solo strings

:mad:
I believe the original poster has all the ensembles (sections), but is looking for solo instruments.

Edgold - you may have to look at other options, such as VSL (Vienna Symphonic Library).
Thanks CSeye and Colin,

I'd hoped that the samples in Logic went beyond GarageBand but that doesn't seem to be the case. I looked in the very extensive string samples in all the areas and couldn't find a solo violin even though there are plenty of solo trumpets, flutes etc. And I'm sure I did a complete install.

If I wanted Mantovani strings, I'd be quite happy but classical symphonic scores are full of passages for string solos. (How about the concerto literature?)

I have Gold Base from Myriad software plus some user instruments and these will have to suffice till I can remedy the situation.

Ed Gold

Upvote 0
I'm feeling a little foolish but it seems that the samples such as "violin section 1" are indeed solo patches. The others are marked String Ensemble and apparently this follows the MIDI protocol where you tend to use the same patches for the ensemble sound whether violin, viola, cello or bass.

Anyone have further knowledge about whether this is correct?

Upvote 0

They're not solo instruments but rather individual articulation instruments. I wasn't clear about that.
I'm not sure who your answer was addressed to, CSeye, but I think it's important to get this straightened out.

In Logic 9, under 10.orchestral there is "Violin Section 1 Legato" or "Cello Section Legato". I haven't checked out the pizzicati but these do sound like solo patches. The Orchestral patches seem to have the name Ensemble in them. An example would be String Ensemble Pizzicato.

Upvote 0
To Edgold:

Just to be sure we're talking about the same things here....

Judging from your post above, you're talking about the names of Channel Strips, in which case there is a folder called 10 Orchestral, sub-folder 10 Strings.

(If you look at the EXS24 Instruments directly, there is a folder called Factory, sub-folder 09 Orchestral, sub-folder 09 Strings, where you can select just the instruments themselves)

In the Channel Strips, everything called "Section" is exactly that - a particular section of the strings (eg Violas, Cellos etc). The largest instruments are just called Viola Section for example, and they contain several articulations. You can select the different articulations via the modwheel. (Logic uses modwheel often in this way)

The other choices are Viola Section Pizzicato for example, which only plays the Pizz articulation, but may have 2 velocity layers or more.

The "Ensemble" choices have all the sections mapped out over the keyboard, so that if you play low, you get basses and cellos and if you play high, you get violins.

Every single one of these instruments are sections consisting of several players. You can hear this clearly if you play using higher velocities (ie loud). There are no solo instruments at all. (There is an Irish fiddle in the European section of World - that's the one and only.)

If you choose the EXS24 instruments directly, the names are all the same, except they they say "Basses Legato" instead of "Bass Section Legato" as in the Channel strip list.

Upvote 0
Hi Colin,

Thanks. Whatever they are, I recorded them in the Logic version:

http://egoldmidincd.com/Once_Again-Logic.mp3

I had my hands full with the balances so this is just a first effort.

The Harmony Assistant file and mp3, in contrast, is here:

http://www.egoldmidincd.com/About_Once_Again.html

But I fear if I don't get out now, I won't see the light of day till tomorrow.

Ed Gold

I have gotten some feedback on the file and it seems that I need to do something on reverb and resonance (I notice the panning seems to be reversed.) as well as sample changes which Harmony Assistant is not very strong on. I also need to get more familiar with the volume and velocity controllers.

But I think I'll have to leave this for tomorrow and the weekend as I have many things to do today.

Upvote 0
Thanks Colin,

I seemed to have overlooked your answer completely for which I apologize.

I am once again concerned with this question but haven't really solved the problem. Getting strings from the VSL seems pricey especially since they charge you extra for a key from what I can see.

Even using the plug-ins is uncertain. Using chorus, for example seems to make the samples sound scratchier and also I haven't been able to get a decent "sul ponticello" to my taste.

The plug-ins I do use are the channel EQ (mostly not too much on the treble!) sound design for reverb (even the bass instruments need some.), the ensemble (under modulation) and the mod-delay. (also gain)

Thanks,

Ed

Upvote 0
Back