Logic Pro 9 some questions about L9 studio I bought yesterday.

Edgold

Logician
I just installed the new software last night and it took forever. (I installed everything on all the disks.) Today I imported 2 of my older MIDI files, 1 straightforward and 1 not so much. They look ok in general with triplets and meter changes in the right places but:

1. I'm using the iMac model 10.1 which has 4G memory. I'm getting repeated system overload messages saying that it can't process the files in time. In the case of two files from the demo content disk, they wouldn't play at all after taking a long time to open.

2. My second imported file has an audio-vocal track which is okay on the pre-MIDI (Harmony Assistant propriatorial) original file. I assume that I would have to copy it from there to a similar audio track in Logic but would it automatically sync with the rest?

(I realize I don't know enough about how to do this yet.)

I'll obviously have more questions as I go along.

Thanks,

Ed

Take a moment to post your setup in a "signature" file so that readers know what hardware you are working with.

As far as the demos, I run an early incarnation of Logic 9 Studio on a G5 quad with 8 GB, and the demos work ok. If your computer is maxed out with 4GB memory, maybe pass on the demos. For example, the Lily Allen demo is full video as well as audio, so you may have hit a wall if your video card shares system memory.

It's great that you jumped right in. Work through any tutorials that came with your software, they should be on one of the disks.

The install includes tons of loops and samples, so it does take forever.

Upvote 0
Thanks Juan,

It may be that I will get a memory upgrade if necessary. I've just done maintenance on the computer including defragging to see if that will help. I'll put in the information you mention after I figure out what I want to include.

Upvote 0
Except for the first demo file, (I didn't try the second but the third did open and play.) it looks like the defrag largely did the trick. It stands to reason that if the different resources have to come from different places on the hard disk, that it would slow down the loading and playing of the file.

Upvote 0
I have been using server/tower setups for so long I forgot about the iMac limitation regarding hard drives. It sounds like maybe you have one hard drive, with both the system and demo files on the same drive?

Having your system files on the boot drive, and your audio/project files on a second hard drive, is pretty much a standard (IMHO), at least when you start working with larger projects. If you haven't already, you might consider a Firewire800 external drive for your projects.

Upvote 0
Yes, I had a tower machine as my last computer (a G4). At the moment, I can add memory I think but am not apt to as long as it works with my files as it does now.

I have a Western Digital external 1 terabyte USB drive which I use for backups and has to be opened in order to be accessed.

I haven't really made much progress on the manual. Though much of it is familiar, since I'm currently working with imported files, I'm mostly, at this point interested in changing balances and changing and importing samples. When I start from scratch, that will be a different story.

Upvote 0
Many forum members started on Logic when it was much less user friendly. I jumped in at 4.8, then upgraded and stayed at 5.51 on a PC until the release of Logic 8. The revised interface made things much more comprehensible. Some have commented that 9 is much better, but version 8 came with several hard copy manuals (for program, plug-ins and software instruments) that were noticeably absent when I upgraded to Logic Studio 9.

The manuals have always been a dull read, but were much improved over version 4.8/5.51. So far, my favorite Logic author is David Dvorin, but this forum is home to many excellent and knowledgable gurus, most have links to their web sites or publications. I wish I had an unlimited expense account to read all their work, but at some point, one just has to dive in.

If loading the demos gives you more trouble, just copy their folder to your external drive. When you click on their individual project files, the OS should load them from wherever you place them.

Upvote 0
I do have a hard copy manual for Logic 9 and, you're right. At some point you just have to dive in or you never understand any of it.

And it is my experience that reading a manual from beginning to end is useless because you don't remember the beginning when you reach the end. Only using what you know will keep it in the memory.

Upvote 0
Ok. I got "Spacemen" to open and play by putting it on my external hard drive. And I was surprised to see the movie there but I'm into natural orchestral sounds and not synth sounds.

Upvote 0
Back