Logic Pro (X) strange repeating drums

edurbrow

Logician
Yesterday this was okay. From today, for some reason drums are repeating every 8th or 16th note. The number of repetitions seems to dependi on the length of the note. In the screen shot, the notes in m. 42 and before repeat once every eighth note, whereas from 43 on they repeat either once or twice every 16th note, depending on the length. So that green kick drum is one eighth note long and sounds twice, a 16th apart. The light blue snare center is a dotted eighth so it has 3 iterations (the initial and two repeats at 16th apart). I tried closing and reopening Logic Pro. That didn't help. I tried restarting the computer and reopening Logic Pro. That didn't help either. You can see there is no echo on the track. I'm stumped.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 7.04.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 7.04.32 PM.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
So, based on your attached screen shot, I'm not exactly sure why that's happening, but I have questions that might lead you in the some decent troubleshooting directions (but be aware, I'm not always the first to jump into using apple's newest coolest features, so I BARELY ever user "Drummer" in any capacity. I mostly use hand-programmed samples or a human with sticks to bash things and make noises.

1. What's going on with that track-icon — did you make that custom, or is there some logic setting that somehow imposes a 'play' button over the track icon? I'm not able to get a drummer-track to have an icon that looks like yours. (Part of me wonders if there's some weird mode engaged, and that might be related) — like is that visual telling us that (in this mode) it's playing loops of the notes you send if you hold the note longer than the length of the individual drum-hit sample file.... ? (total spit-ball)

2. I see that your track isn't a regular looking yellow "drummer" track. It looks like you created a drummer track, then created a "MIDI" track and routed it to "Audio" > "Software Instrument" > "SoCal+" so that you could self-program. — is there any chance that you've (at some point) option-dragged that MIDI region, and accidentally created an underlying duplicate of part of the region? (causing double-firing of samples)

3. I wonder if you're just on Ventura and maybe that's why your icon looks slightly different here... I'm on Monterey, but my green MIDI icon doesn't have any arrow "jumping out" of it. I am curious how that icon is involved here.

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 11.05.58 PM.png

Upvote 0
So, based on your attached screen shot, I'm not exactly sure why that's happening, but I have questions that might lead you in the some decent troubleshooting directions (but be aware, I'm not always the first to jump into using apple's newest coolest features, so I BARELY ever user "Drummer" in any capacity. I mostly use hand-programmed samples or a human with sticks to bash things and make noises.

1. What's going on with that track-icon — did you make that custom, or is there some logic setting that somehow imposes a 'play' button over the track icon? I'm not able to get a drummer-track to have an icon that looks like yours. (Part of me wonders if there's some weird mode engaged, and that might be related) — like is that visual telling us that (in this mode) it's playing loops of the notes you send if you hold the note longer than the length of the individual drum-hit sample file.... ? (total spit-ball)

2. I see that your track isn't a regular looking yellow "drummer" track. It looks like you created a drummer track, then created a "MIDI" track and routed it to "Audio" > "Software Instrument" > "SoCal+" so that you could self-program. — is there any chance that you've (at some point) option-dragged that MIDI region, and accidentally created an underlying duplicate of part of the region? (causing double-firing of samples)

3. I wonder if you're just on Ventura and maybe that's why your icon looks slightly different here... I'm on Monterey, but my green MIDI icon doesn't have any arrow "jumping out" of it. I am curious how that icon is involved here.

I imported from a midi file of Stravinsky's Firebird and that drum was in there. I originally was after something else but ended up keeping the drum track and erasing everything on it. It looks like a Drummer track, but it isn't. It looks like a kit from one of the Drummer tracks. All the data in there I put in. If I open the stack there are heaps of tracks but no regions or data that I can see, but the meters for those tracks move when I play. Everything was okay up to the day before yesterday and then every drum started repeating at the 16th note level. If you see the attached video, the Division is set to 8. Notes that are an eighth note long sound twice and dotted eighths sound three times. There is no echo. I don't get the buss. It says buss 5, but there seems to be no way to turn it off or change it. But it must have been there before anyway.
I always have a hard time with imported data. For example even though I erased controller volume it still keeps jumping to a certain volume.

Attachments

• repeating drums.m4v
    4.2 MB
Upvote 0
Okay... wow, there's a lot going on in that follow-up description, but thanks for sending the video. That helps.

I think you have a lot of potential sources of a problem, so we need to just simplify the troubleshooting:
  • Is it the Track or the drummer plug-in? — if so, the problem would happen even in a newly created midi region on that same track, right? — so let's try this: Create a fresh new MIDI region on the same Logic arrangement track. In that new track, create the same notes, one note at a time with the pencil tool. What's the behavior you get then? — is the behavior different? (then it's something wacky in that region you're showing in your video) — is the behavior the same? (then it's SOMETHING about the track settings and/or the plug-in settings.
  • If you identify that the problem was isolated to the region, can you safely recreate the musicality of the region within a new region? if so, great! Do it, and delete the wacky region.
  • If you identify that the problem was isolated to the Track or Plug-in, let us know and we can try other avenues of narrowing-it-down..
Like any good troubleshooting process, this is an equation where you're solving for "problem follows X variable" — keep changing one variable at a time and see if the problem follows or goes away.

Upvote 0
Yeah, definitely the track not the region. There are so many things in Logic Pro that just pop up and I don't know what makes them happen. I'll be learning this program for the rest of my life. I have someone coming over tomorrow to help with drum programming/recording, so I'll probably just make a new drum track and move on. I'll keep the track and just mute it and maybe come back to it to see if I can figure out what it is that makes it repeat 16th notes. So weird.
Thanks so much.

Upvote 0
Back