Logic Pro (X) Studio Instruments

John Morton

Logician
I've been using the Studio Horns and Strings since the outset but find them unsatisfactory. It's difficult to criticise a program that offers so much for the money and there's no substitute for shelling out on high level software instruments but there was a slight build-up to the announcement when the Studio instruments were introduced so some criticism is in order, I think.

Problems:
Lack of long sustain and, to make it worse, different instruments in a section will cut off at different times.

Inability to create a true legato. Each note has a slight accent which causes the velocity sliders to pump up and down. There is also some expression in-built (mini crescendos). I wish to insert my OWN expression.

Only the lead instrument (5 trombones) offers the 'expressive long' option. It is omitted from other section instruments.

Thanks for that, and congrats on all your various enterprises, by the way. The other problem I found is that the top D4 in the lead trombone part will not sound. I've checked and re-affirmed the key limit settings in case it was yet another bug (in the most buggy program I've ever encountered). As soon as I changed the track to an EXS24 trombone it worked fine.

Upvote 0
If you change the view from ediotr to controls (top right just under side chain) you can tick a box for extended range which takes it above C.

Upvote 0
If you change the view from ediotr to controls (top right just under side chain) you can tick a box for extended range which takes it above C.

Can't find that anywhere, Pete, sorry. The top D4 is part of any self-respecting player's range so I'm puzzled why Apple would have this as an option, anyway. I really don't believe the company is serious about anything but rock music, which is catered for brilliantly.

Upvote 0
Here:
Logic Pro XScreenSnapz005.png

Upvote 0
Back