Logic Pro 8 Stylus RMX: solo/mute affects all 8 channels

BJammin222

Logician
Humble Greetings to the Group,

I'm just starting with Logic, coming over from the Dark Side (Pro Tools). It's incredible, and mystifying at times. I've loaded an 8-channel Software Instrument (stereo out, which is fine), loaded RMX, all good, it all works.

Except that when I solo a track, all 8 RMX channels go to solo. Same with Mute, and probably other commands I don't know yet.

I obviously need to be able to solo/mute/etc. each RMX channel separately. What am I missing.

Many thanks for your input.

Humbly yours,
Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

when I solo a track, all 8 RMX channels go to solo. Same with Mute, and probably other commands I don't know yet.
I obviously need to be able to solo/mute/etc. each RMX channel separately. What am I missing.

It sounds like what you are doing is muting and soloing the Arrange track that contains the MIDI information for SRMX. This is the M or S button on the track header of the Arrange window. This will always solo or mute all channels receiving the data that you are soloing or muting (as you would expect).

What you want to do is mute and solo the channel strips for each individual SRMX channel. These are the little M and S buttons on the channel strips in the Mixer. When you click on those, only the one specific channel you click on is muted or solo'd, because you're not soloing or muting the data, only the channel.

Hope that helps,
Orren

Upvote 0
still befuddled

Thanks so much, Orren. I'm still having some trouble.

The only track that shows up in the Mixer is what seems to be the stereo out of SRMX. I looked for a "+" sign to split out the 8 MIDI channels and their respective Mixer tracks, but there are none. When I click on Solo or Mute on that stereo SRMX track, again all of the Arrange Window tracks light up as solo'd, and same with Mute.

I'm sure I either set up the instrument wrong or am missing some other basic thing. I also notice that the VU meters on all the SRMX tracks move when there is only MIDI data on tracks 1 and 2. Not a big deal, but a little misleading.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the help.

Ben

Upvote 0
clarify

Sorry - just to clarify (and practice my Logic lingo)...

I meant "channel strips" when I mentioned soloing/muting the SRMX mixer "track". I just don't see 8 individual MIDI channel strips in the mixer. When I select various Arrange Window tracks, I do see the channel strips on the lower left, but again, when I click Solo/Mute, all of SRMX tracks are solo'd/muted.

Upvote 0
Except that when I solo a track, all 8 RMX channels go to solo. Same with Mute, and probably other commands I don't know yet.

If you go to preferences -> audio -> general (tab), set the Track Mute/Solo to CPU saving (slow response) and it should work the way you want to.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 0
The only track that shows up in the Mixer is what seems to be the stereo out of SRMX. I looked for a "+" sign to split out the 8 MIDI channels and their respective Mixer tracks, but there are none. When I click on Solo or Mute on that stereo SRMX track, again all of the Arrange Window tracks light up as solo'd, and same with Mute.

You seem to have a stereo instance of RMX. You need to select the Multi-Output version of RMX:
Click-hold on the Plug-in slot
Select AU Instruments/Spectrasonics/Stylus RMX and choose the Multi_output version of RMX

You should now get the + button bottom right on the strip. Clicking on this adds an Aux channel with each successive stereo out pair from RMX

Upvote 0
There is another way to work - using the "clone method".

In the Environment window (not Track Mixer)
Load RMX into an Audio Instrument.
Change the midi channel from <All> to ch 1
Make a copy of this strip(option-drag)
Change the midi channel on the copy to ch2
Repeat as above up to ch 8
(You can also create new inst objects, set their parameters to be the same as Audio Inst 1, and do as above, without expanding the object into faders, simply to conserve space.)

Each one of these strips will now send discrete MIDI data to each channel of RMX.

Now, if you make tracks in the Arrange with these "clones", you can easily and separately automate various parameters within RMX, for each channel. The point is that the flip-menu for Automation parameters on an audio instrument will relate specifically to RMX, while those of a cabled multi-instrument will not.

Upvote 0
absolutely.... Now... how do I do that? :)

(You can also create new inst objects, set their parameters to be the same as Audio Inst 1, and do as above, without expanding the object into faders, simply to conserve space.)

Each one of these strips will now send discrete MIDI data to each channel of RMX.

Now, if you make tracks in the Arrange with these "clones", you can easily and separately automate various parameters within RMX, for each channel. The point is that the flip-menu for Automation parameters on an audio instrument will relate specifically to RMX, while those of a cabled multi-instrument will not.

Awesome. Perfect. Now... how do I do that? LOL. Is there a tutorial somewhere for creating an Audio Instrument (tried it, don't understand the Environment window - wow), and loading RMX into that instrument? From there, I think I would be fine. I just don't want to bother you (and others) with this total newbie stuff. Really I just want to set up a template that works, and then, oh, maybe, perhaps, starting MAKING SOME MUSIC HERE AT SOME POINT! LOL.

Thanks again, Colin and Jay, for your responses.

All the best,
Ben

Upvote 0
Benjamin, if you email me I will send you a template and hopefully you will see what I did.
Understand however, is that what you are saying is equivalent to, "I want to drive a fast car but although I do not know how to steer, change gears or parallel park. Can't I just drive anyway?"

jay@jayasher.com

Upvote 0

Awesome. Perfect. Now... how do I do that? LOL. Is there a tutorial somewhere for creating an Audio Instrument (tried it, don't understand the Environment window - wow), and loading RMX into that instrument? From there, I think I would be fine. I just don't want to bother you (and others) with this total newbie stuff. Really I just want to set up a template that works, and then, oh, maybe, perhaps, starting MAKING SOME MUSIC HERE AT SOME POINT! LOL.

Thanks again, Colin and Jay, for your responses.

All the best,
Ben

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but what is this different in comparison to creating a new software instrument track and checking the 'multitimbral' checkbox? This way you would also get several clones of the same instrument track and reacting to discrete MIDI channels. What would Colin's clone method gain to this method?

Upvote 0
Multispace,

You are quite correct about this. I forgot about this feature as I had been using the clone method since 2005, before Logic had Multitimbral tracks.

It's always good to be reminded about the many facets of Logic - thanks!

Upvote 0
Back