Logic Pro (X) Sustain

Tom Senff

Logician
When I use one of the Studio Horns ( Trombone ) from the regular Logic Browser it will not sustain my intended pitch length past 4 beats or so. How do I get it to sustain the duration I want? Thanks!

tom

The Studio Horns do sound great but the breath support is really limited. More like, the samples aren't looped.

There are factory EXS24 and Garageband trombone section sounds that are looped.

Upvote 0
Hello Tom,
Take a look at the attachment
- Factory>Orchestral>Brass>(a few trombone options here. The one with the '+' sign uses Articulation ID.
- GarageBand>scroll towards the bottom of the alphabetized list of instruments. Several trombone options here as well.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Trombones.png
    Trombones.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 0
CSeye, I've checked out the sounds you mentioned....... I don't really like them as much as the Studio Horn sounds I've been using...... is there no way to elongate the pitches with the regular sounds I'm trying to use?

tom

Upvote 0
The short answer is no.
Reason? The Studio Horns samples aren't looped.

To understand this, load Studio Strings>Cello. Press a key on your keyboard controller or Logic Piano Roll keyboard and hold it for minute or so. The note sustains because the samples are looped. (After the initial attack of a note, in a location where the note pitch and volume are stable in the sustain phase of Attack-Decay-Sustain-Release envelope, the note sample is looped so that it will sustain as long as the note is triggered via keyboard or MIDI note)

My impression is that not looping Studio Horns was an oversight.

Upvote 0
FWIW as a former trumpet player, there may be some 'logic' to not looping the Studio Horns if they were trying to make them sound like real horn players who, it turns out, can't play notes of unlimited length!

Upvote 0
Hi Sonny! Some “Logic” huh? Nice pun........ actually I do understand your point, being a trombone player myself, but I was only asking for 6 beats at a fairly slow tempo........

Upvote 0
Back