Logic Pro 9 Switching from 32 to 64 bit

Locate and select the Logic icon in your Applications folder. Press command I (it's the key command shortcut for Get Info) and the Get Info box will appear. Usually on the left side of your screen. About half way down is a check box that says open in 32 bit mode. Uncheck it, and Logic will launch in 64 bit mode.

Upvote 0
You need to be using the Snow Leopard operating system.

Indeed, and have a computer that can run logic in 64 bit mode. Not all intel macs can, some of the very early models with Core Duo, as opposed to Core 2 Duo CPUs can only run 9.1 in 32 bit mode.

grg154, can you post system details?

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
I to have snow leopard on my new mac book pro. 2.8 Ghz with 4 Gig of Ram, LogicPro 9.0.2. how can I tell if I am in 64 bit mode. The getinfo window does not show the option. If I have already made the switch will the box not be there? There is a check box that says open with Rosetta. do I want to do that.

Upvote 0
.....LogicPro 9.0.2. how can I tell if I am in 64 bit mode.

Logic 9.1 is the first version that supports 64bit mode. It's a free upgrade from 9.0.2.

You need Snow Leopard 10.6.2 or higher.

You need an Intel Core 2 Duo or better (Intel Core Duo or Intel Core Solo will NOT work).

Logic's splash screen (when it boots up, or when you click on "About Logic Pro in the Logic Pro menu) will give a small hint that it's in 64 bit mode or not.

To switch modes, find the Logic Pro icon in the Applications folder, and Get Info on it (Command-I, or Right-Click, or Control-Click). There will be a checkbox beside "Open in 32 bit mode". I've encountered some folks who still can't figure it out after these instructions, so I'll state the obvious: The act of NOT being in 32bit mode means you're in 64bit mode.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip. I'm upgrading now. I do have all the other basic requirements. Now does this upgrade offer real advantage in editing and recording? Anything that smooths the process is fine with me.

Upvote 0
It won't offer any advantages in editing and recording. What it does allow you to do is load more and bigger sample libraries into ram at the same time. It is only really useful if your situation includes the following two conditions:

1. You are using large amounts of third party software instruments with large sample libraries. Like Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Vienna Ensemble, etc.

2. You have more than 4 GB of physical ram installed on your computer.

Upvote 0
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3989>

The "64bit" thing only refers to memory addressing, not to audio engine etc...

32bit addressing means that Logic can access up to 4GB RAM. So being in 64bit mode has no advantage if you only have that much RAM.

And since the OS and other stuff also requires RAM, even 5GB total physical RAM might have little to no advantage to Logic in 64bit mode.

Furthermore, since EXS24 can see it's own RAM outside 32bitLogic's 4GB max space already, if you use a lot of EXS24 then having 5-8GB of RAM might yield little difference again booting Logic in 64bit mode, since you were already taking advantage of MORE than 4GB in total with Logic.

In fact, there are certain things that DO NOT currently work in 64bit mode (like Firewire video and Euphonix control etc etc etc) so in your case it makes no sense to even experiment with it too much.

Upvote 0
I have upgraded the program and have decided that since I have no issues with how the program is working in 32 Bit, I'll leave well enough alone. Thanks for your explanation. I got the same tip from Apple support.

Upvote 0
Back