Logic Pro 8 switching track instruments

In L8 is it no longer possible to change one type of track instrument to another by clicking on the track parameter box?

Also in L7 I have a technique of using a 'No Output' track to use in 3 ways:

1. to create a song-length empty object as a cycle and bounce template

2. to create a series of empty objects and calling them: "intro"; "v1"; "Chor1"; "bridge" and so on.

3. to insert a spacer in an otherwise cluttered tracklist - it's nice to have sections that the eye can clearly classify.

How do I create such an object in L8?

peter

Eli

Logician
Hi Peter,

Control click in the track list and choose the option to reassign the track object. You'll get the familiar list of choices, including the no output object.

Tip: for setting cycle length for the whole song to establish a bounce range, use two key commands: select all, and then set locators by object. Your done.

thanks for the CTRL-click command - brilliant, Eli :)

...and there's my ' no output' baby! yay!

I know I can set the cycle length as you say, but over the years I've found that a visible boundary works better for me, not least because I often have stuff in front of the first region ( I set my opening region to bar 2 or later - its a habit I got from PT and working with timecode), and I like my bounce length to be a tad earlier than the first musical moment. Also it makes for a quick cycle - allowing me to play from the beginning ( not bar 1!) at any point in the creative process - and it's /one/ key command! ;-)

peter

Eli

Logician
LOL, I work similarly. I usually start at bar 3. I do the select all, set cycle length, enable cycle thing. And then I usually just grab the front end of the cycle in the bar ruler and drag it back an extra quarter note or so. I don't usually have regions before there though that I want to exclude.

> I don't usually have regions before there though that I want to exclude.

I usually start my click track early in case the overdub needs to be on the nose.

peter

ah Maurits, good morning :)
Can you click on a marker for eg. verse3, and it becomes an instant cycle zone?

:)

peter

Yeah, this is gold... another one I like is having cycle on and having the Marker button on the MCU lit, so I can them jump around (markers and have the cycle selection change with them) sections with the << & >> buttons of the MCU. Great if you're doing many versions of a certain section in series... or other things!!

Hi Peter,

Control click in the track list and choose the option to reassign the track object. You'll get the familiar list of choices, including the no output object.

Tip: for setting cycle length for the whole song to establish a bounce range, use two key commands: select all, and then set locators by object. Your done.
Good Tip Eli. I also like the empty region idea, as that way I can make it a tad longer then the song. I have to have extra space before my sequence starts as there is usually some kind of fx/vi buffer sound that pops out, even if i try clearing it ahead of time. I think it's related to the uad-2 stuff. At any rate, there's usually some unwanted noise at the top after I bounce and I have to edit it out later with Peak.

Eli

Logician
I usually do the select all, set locators by object, enable cycle thing, and then just drag out the beginning and ends of the cycle in the bar ruler if I need to for a reverb tail at the end, or for some un-emptied buffer noise at the beginning.