Logic Pro (X) Sync tempo to audio by tap

ritzybiz

Logician
I need to create a tempo map in LPX by tapping my keyboard in time with an existing audio file in my project. This is easily achievable in DP 8 but I can't seem to work it out in Logic. Any help would be appreciated.

This is my 1st post, and I am relatively new to Logic. I have learned so much from Eli's Groove3 tutorials!

Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I guess to achieve this you would use the Tempo Intrepeter.
But depending of the final goal you are aiming at, ther could be other approahces available...

Thanks, Atlas, I have looked at the interpreter but it is very convoluted to follow the manual instructions, and so far I haven't been able to get it working. Eli, maybe you could throw some light on this?

Charlie

Upvote 0
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the props, glad you are enjoying the videos :D I didn't cover beat mapping in them, as it is beyond the scope of an Explained title. I already went more than two hours over the targeted run time!;)

What you need to do isn't difficult. Load up a MIDI sound (hi hat or rim shot work well for this) and record yourself tapping along in time to the music. Quarter notes usually work fine; but it's dependant on the nature of the music of course. One you have that recorded and edited so that it sounds right, in terms of sounding in time with the music, open up your Global Tracks. Make sure Beat Mapping is displayed in them.

Select your MIDI region containing the correct timing of the intended quarter notes, and click hold on the Beat Mapping field. In the pop up menu, choose the top item called "Beats From Regions". This will create a tempo map following those intended quarter notes (or whatever subdivision you use). There will be a tempo event created at each sub division.

One tip: Try and line up your very first note in both your guide region and your actual regions containing the music, so that the very first downbeat lines up exactly at Bar 1 1 1 1. This little bit of extra insurance will really help the whole process work smoothly and leave you with a solid and accurate tempo map.

Attachments

• Beat Mapping.png
    Beat Mapping.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 0
Unfortunately the tempo map you'll get this way will vary considerably more that the actual tempo on the audio, if only because one single person tapping is prone to much more human error than a whole group, where errors compensate each other... Wouldn't it be better if instead of defining the beat, the tapping would only be a rough guide to some beat detector which would then do a much better job in detecting the real intended tempo ?

Upvote 0
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the props, glad you are enjoying the videos :D I didn't cover beat mapping in them, as it is beyond the scope of an Explained title. I already went more than two hours over the targeted run time!;)

What you need to do isn't difficult. Load up a MIDI sound (hi hat or rim shot work well for this) and record yourself tapping along in time to the music. Quarter notes usually work fine; but it's dependant on the nature of the music of course. One you have that recorded and edited so that it sounds right, in terms of sounding in time with the music, open up your Global Tracks. Make sure Beat Mapping is displayed in them.

Select your MIDI region containing the correct timing of the intended quarter notes, and click hold on the Beat Mapping field. In the pop up menu, choose the top item called "Beats From Regions". This will create a tempo map following those intended quarter notes (or whatever subdivision you use). There will be a tempo event created at each sub division.

One tip: Try and line up your very first note in both your guide region and your actual regions containing the music, so that the very first downbeat lines up exactly at Bar 1 1 1 1. This little bit of extra insurance will really help the whole process work smoothly and leave you with a solid and accurate tempo map.

Thank you so much Eli, I'll try it today and report back. It's very kind of you to take the time to explain it all!!

Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

And like Vincent suggests, if you want to go about it in a bit more of a precise fashion, you could choose the analyze transients function, tweak the transients so they are as accurate as possible, and then use the Beats From Region function.

Upvote 0
Back