Logic Pro 9 The channel EQ window and editing the ensemble string patches.

Edgold

Logician
:confused:I've downloaded the manual pdf but I can't easily find anything about the equalizer window. (I'm using EXS24 instruments.)

One question has to do with the gray area which seems to be the master gain. I assume it defines the range and the smaller colored areas defines the actual herz within that range.

When you are using the general ensemble string patches, I would assume that the master should be set to above the median for violins, equal above and below for violas, and below for cello and bass. Is this correct?

In the more specific solo string patches such as viola section 1, the problem does not exist to that extent.

Also in the ensemble patches, there is a question which plugins to use.

If I were to use other samples such as the VSL string orchestra ones, I'm told that there are separate proprietary controls and that the Logic ones would not apply.

The master gain is just that: a master audio level fader for the EQ. It should be left at 0 unless you are getting distortion due to adding additional level to an eq band while getting the desired tone.

Upvote 0
The effects pdf has the info about the EQ as well as other info I need but will have to get an explanation of much of it from from my nephew who has the background which I lack.

Upvote 0
EQ is a complex science and art. It's impossible to give any meaningful advice in a forum response like this. You should look up some articles on the web about additive and subtractive EQ. Try to find some tutorials. There are no hard and fast rules - the EQ you set will vary according to the instruments and even the type of music played.

The most important piece of equipment for EQ - your ears. (But they need to be trained...)

Upvote 0
Thanks Colin,

I was trying to fix the EQs in a file just now but I think the problem with most Logic tutorials is that they don't address what I'm trying to do which is to get realistic orchestral and instrumental sounds.

I've pretty much mastered the solo patches but not the string ensembles. I'm still a bit flummoxed by the "whooshy" and sometimes scratchy results but am told to avoid the modulation plugins(?).

Upvote 0
Back