The threads below have not been updated....

Eli

Logician
Hey Admins,

I've noticed some new behavior in the last little while that I personally don't like. I wonder if I accidentally enabled this function, or if it is possible somehow to turn it off.

I usually log in and use the "new posts" button in order to see new posts since the last time I logged in. But recently, in addition to the new posts, I get an additional collection of posts with the header: The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts".

is there any way to filter out these threads from being shown and revert back to the old behavior of only showing new threads?

Here is a screen shot of what it looks like:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 208
Eli

We have changed a setting and so far we have found it to be "improved". We shall now review this given what you have described.

Tony

It won't filter them out, but under quick links, if you click on "mark forums read", the whole list goes.

I hate to be anal, but this isn't quite doing it for me. What I don't like is this: I log in, click new posts, see a list of the posts since my last visit, and click on them one at a time to read them. But after I read one and return to the new posts window, the new posts list shrinks by one and removes the one I just read, until the last one when none remain.

I prefer the old behavior. When I would return to the unread posts, it would still show all the posts since my last log in. The already read ones would be in plain text, while the still unread ones were bold. That way I could quickly scan them all, and then easily return and choose the ones I want to reply to.

I hate to be anal, but this isn't quite doing it for me. What I don't like is this: I log in, click new posts, see a list of the posts since my last visit, and click on them one at a time to read them. But after I read one and return to the new posts window, the new posts list shrinks by one and removes the one I just read, until the last one when none remain.

Hi Eli

This took me a little bit by surprise as well, I tend to scan through all new posts, then go back to the ones I want to reply to, but as you say, they are now no longer in the "new posts" list. One solution is to make use of the Quick Links -> Today's posts function - it lists out threads that have had new posts added to them in the past 24 hours, but I agree, having new posts removed from the new posts list by opening them isn't an advantage using the forum the way you and I both seem to.

The already read ones would be in plain text, while the still unread ones were bold. That way I could quickly scan them all, and then easily return and choose the ones I want to reply to.

In the context of what you are suggesting, that is a very nice idea. I'm not at all sure whether VBulletin 3.7.5 has such a function though.

kind regards

Mark

The already read ones would be in plain text, while the still unread ones were bold. That way I could quickly scan them all, and then easily return and choose the ones I want to reply to.

In the context of what you are suggesting, that is a very nice idea. I'm not at all sure whether VBulletin 3.7.5 has such a function though.

kind regards

Mark

That's exactly the way the behavior used to be up until about a week or two ago!

LOL, sorry, you're quite right. If that isn't a sign of getting old and forgetful :)

I have to admit the new method was suggested by me as I prefer it, but like am very happy to do whatever the majority f the membership wants.

My problem with the old inactivity cookie based system is that threads would disappear from the list after a while even if you hadn't looked at them.

The new database system does mean that one you have opened a thread, it disappears when you next refresh the "new Posts" list, so I have either got into the habit of replying as soon as I read, especially if it's a short reply.

But I understand totally it can be frustrating to come back half an hour later (after reading the manual to make sure I'm not about to make a complete fool of myself) and find the thread is not in that list, however in that case I just look in the Quicklinks>Today's posts list and it's in there.

Or if I'm really organised I might have made a quick bookmark to the specific post in the thread.

There is another system we haven't tried yet (Database (no automatic forum marking), maybe that will work better for everyone.

Eli, like you I always used the old behavior. What I have found thigh is that as long as I use my browsers back button to go from an opened thread back into the unread kist it does keep all of the posts on the list. Once you refresh or start a new session of course they all drop-off as you have seen. Not the best behavior but it's close to what it was.

Kevin

One thing just occurred to me.

Re: the old system (cookie based)

I mentioned above that with this method threads sometimes disappear off the list when you log in later even if you haven't looked at them.

Is it possible that people are not realising this is actually happening, thus missing out on some threads?

This is the reason I suggested the new method, because basically the old one is broken - and it's possible people aren't realising that it's broken.

It's possible that behaviour is only on some browsers, but this is something we would have to test carefully if we do revert to cookie based. I won't be too upset if everyone wants that back, as long we all realise the issues with it.

Eli, like you I always used the old behavior. What I have found thigh is that as long as I use my browsers back button to go from an opened thread back into the unread kist it does keep all of the posts on the list. Once you refresh or start a new session of course they all drop-off as you have seen. Not the best behavior but it's close to what it was.

Kevin

Another method is to keep the 'new posts' page open and then open the individual posts in a new tab by holding down the command button as you click on the link. This way the new posts page doesn't update and is more elegant and faster method than using the back button.

Not a solution but a workaround! Given this I think the 'new way' works better overall - sorry Eli. We moderators will think on it still!

Tony

Not sure if this is related but...

Previously, I used to go to the LUG/Logic 9 forum (bookmarked) and the topics with new posts would display in bold, while read topics were unbold (ie normal text).

Lately, all topics on the page are bold, going back days. Yes, I am logged in....

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Not sure if this is related but...

Previously, I used to go to the LUG/Logic 9 forum (bookmarked) and the topics with new posts would display in bold, while read topics were unbold (ie normal text).

Lately, all topics on the page are bold, going back days. Yes, I am logged in....

Any ideas on how to fix this?

No, I don't think it's related, and as it works here I'm not sure we can do anything until we can see the issue.

I see everything the way it should be (unread = bold, read = unbold).

Does anyone else get the problem?

Update:
I clicked on the Quick Link "Mark Forums Read"
Now it all seems to be working - new threads are bold again.
Obviously just a glitch in the space-time continuum . . .

I saw a similar behavior although I use the forum in a straight manner, without any smart lists. I think the software's confusion happened after we changed the indexing scheme. After I declared all threads as read it works well again.

I saw a similar behavior although I use the forum in a straight manner, without any smart lists. I think the software's confusion happened after we changed the indexing scheme. After I declared all threads as read it works well again.

I think this is probably very true, I vaguely remember now something on the vBulletin forum, I think they recommend to empty cache and mark all read for new settings.

Back