The Top 10 Things I Hate About Logic

No doubt about it -- it is so great to have what is comparable to a professional studio sitting on your desk. Well, almost. There are inherent flaws and limitations to computer recording, but still, it’s a chance to do so much more than was available (and economically feasible) just a few short years ago.

It all started with Garage Band, which as most people,know, was a stripped down version of the LOGIC studio program for folks to have some fun with. It was, in short, it was a toy. But it didn’t take long for musicians to realize that they could make a pretty decent recording with it -- especially since it wasn’t limited to eight tracks, which was the norm for modest home recording back in the 90’s and into the early 2000’s. And as GB updated, each version got better and better. And I’ll go out on a limb and say that Garage Band 6 was actually better than LOGIC ProX. (WHAT?!?!?!) Oh sure, LOGIC has a lot more bells, whistles and pre-sets but if you knew what you were doing you can replicate pretty much all of that with GB6. But alas, everything has to change, usually for the worse. And they made Garage Band a toy again. Only not as good. So...LOGIC it is!

Even after going into business using LOGIC, there are still some things that really bother me. They make no sense. There may even be a way of fixing some of them but I haven’t figured them out yet. So here are my top 10 things I hate about LOGIC.

# 10 The Look

The LOGIC screen is dark and is often a struggle to see. That’s another thing that the old Garage Band did much better -- a bright colorful screen. Yes, I know, you can make adjustments, but they don’t do much to improve the overall dull appearance.

#9: Adjustments

On GB6 if you wanted to “time flex” a part, just put the header on it and move it. No more. Now it’s a far more complicated process to achieve the same goal.

#8 Clarity of Instructions

It took a while to figure out how not to keep recording more tracks and just go with one take per track. It even took a while to figure out how to duplicate a track. It’s all like a secret code. Maybe that makes the techies feel more special, but I like things to say what they do.

#7 Apple Assistance is Useless

No explanation necessary.

#6 The “Record “ Button Remains on After You Switch Tracks

Why? Why? For what reason? It just causes problems. Just work with the track you’re on!

#5: With Every Update, Things Change

Once you start getting good at doing something, it’s time to forget everything you know and learn a new set of skills.

#4: Too Many Options

Some programs have so many buttons, dials, adjustments, switches, levels and controls I have no idea what any of them do after a while. Most of them seem to do nothing. I’m obviously missing something. What ever happened to on/off treble/ bass? And for effects -- amount, length and volume. Done. That’s all I need 99% of the time. And why can’t I get gated reverb? GB 6 had it. Also, quantizing is either 100% or nothing. That too is great for dance music, not so great for real music. And on that note...

#3: It’s Designed Mostly for Non Musicians

Most YouTube tutorials of LOGIC discuss pushing buttons. For me, a good recording is an arrangement, and a performance, and understanding the balance of instruments. I was speaking to a “genius” at apple who was also a musician and mentioned recording real instruments, to which he replied,”Oh I don’t use real instruments.” That discussion ended quickly.

#2: The Hi Hats Sound like Crap

After much tweaking I’ve gotten them to be usable, but they still don’t sound great and again, things like variances in sound (the way a drummer would play them) are no longer available, but they have dozens more fake drum machine pseud hi hats.. I guess that’s what they call “progress.”

#1: The Header Doesn’t Line Up Track to Track

This is the stupidest thing imaginable. When you’re trying to line up where a beat falls the time line defaults to the beginning and you have to scroll back to where the header is placed. Yes, you can use the up and down arrows, but that doesn’t always work. It seems like one of the most basic things to use, but apparently, I’m in the minority./

I’m sure there are others, but this is a quick list. Feel free to add a few of your own. And if you have any solutions for some of these, I’m all ears!

fuzzfilth

Logician
No doubt about it - it is so great to have what is comparable to a professional kitchen in your home. Well, almost. There's so much that can go wrong with all those options and really, who has time to learn all these tools ? Why would you need seven different spices if you have salt ? I mean, salt or no salt, that's two flavours already. Add sugar and you have more choices than anyone could ever want, right ? Everything else is too complicated anyway.

In all seriousness, it seems you're doing fine with Garageband, and I say this without judgement. Others may be doing stuff with the software that's far beyond your needs, skills or imagination. Some may even record more than one track at a time. Who are you to tell them how to use the tool and what the software should or should not do ?

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
I moved this to the "Moan Zone" - the place on the LUG to let off steam, if that happens to be necessary :ddhorse:

No doubt about it - it is so great to have what is comparable to a professional kitchen in your home. Well, almost. There's so much that can go wrong with all those options and really, who has time to learn all these tools ? Why would you need seven different spices if you have salt ? I mean, salt or no salt, that's two flavours already. Add sugar and you have more choices than anyone could ever want, right ? Everything else is too complicated anyway.

In all seriousness, it seems you're doing fine with Garageband, and I say this without judgement. Others may be doing stuff with the software that's far beyond your needs, skills or imagination. Some may even record more than one track at a time. Who are you to tell them how to use the tool and what the software should or should not do ?
I think you're a little confused as to the points being made. It's okay though.

Last edited:
I moved this to the "Moan Zone" - the place on the LUG to let off steam, if that happens to be necessary :ddhorse:
Nah, not letting off steam at all. Just pointing out some of the shortcomings regarding the tools we use. And maybe get some insight. But, apparently, there's none to be had.

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
FTR, I deleted the re-post you just made. No need to do that, posts aren't difficult to find on the LUG. If you are looking for insights, here are a couple of suggestions: Post about single issues, and think a little about the title you will give a thread. Going on experience, "The Top 10 Things I Hate About Logic" may not be seen as looking for insights, rather, making some negative statements...

FTR, I deleted the re-post you just made. No need to do that, posts aren't difficult to find on the LUG. If you are looking for insights, here are a couple of suggestions: Post about single issues, and think a little about the title you will give a thread. Going on experience, "The Top 10 Things I Hate About Logic" may not be seen as looking for insights, rather, making some negative statements...
I guess irony and subtext are lost around these parts.

fuzzfilth

Logician
You think it's the place that does this ? You spent a whole day trying to explain a problem you have, but couldn't put it into proper words, so no one could help you. And when you were made aware of that, instead of just looking up the right terminology on pretty much page one of the documentation, you refused to cooperate in the numerous attempts to solve your problem. Then people even spelled it out for you, word for word, and asked for further clarification which still you chose not to supply. And now you come back and ask the exact same question with the same baby-speak as on day 1 ? Isn't *that* ironic ?

You think it's the place that does this ? You spent a whole day trying to explain a problem you have, but couldn't put it into proper words, so no one could help you. And when you were made aware of that, instead of just looking up the right terminology on pretty much page one of the documentation, you refused to cooperate in the numerous attempts to solve your problem. Then people even spelled it out for you, word for word, and asked for further clarification which still you chose not to supply. And now you come back and ask the exact same question with the same baby-speak as on day 1 ? Isn't *that* ironic ?
Sure, whatever you say. Thanks for the input.

fuzzfilth

Logician
Yes, the color palette has been and still is a very bad design choice since Logic X. Very unlikely they'll change it now as they have been sitting this out for 8 years without batting an eyelid.

jrain

God, is it hopeless?. The visuals of Logic X (I'm using Logic since version 4) stood out from the start as poor , some sort of attempt look cool and to be different from Protools.. An egregiously sucky color "palette": some interior designer's choice or a half assed spectral theory? Always failing to address the ideosycnracy and utility of color. Does anyone actually defend the "look" at Apple ? My only mitigation i find is to push monitor controls way out of norm while using Logic.

fuzzfilth

Logician
Aside from the colour palette, which as I said is a disgrace to mankind, I find that Logic X's GUI most of the time does a very good job of just staying out of my way. I do not notice it, which is a good thing. Most of the 3rd party skins scream "Look at me ! I look like a NEVE/SSL/Harrison console LOOK AT MEEE!!!". I couldn't stand that. While there have been a handful of eye-cancer-inducing design attempts in early versions of Logic (using it since 1.7), Apple designed something very workable and unintrusive in LPX.

Last edited:

bayswater

Logician
I'd have to agree the UI is not the best. That's old hat. And Apple support: it's about the same as it is for any Apple software. For $200, its left to users to support each other. There are a few people who do a great job of covering that base, and some of the best check in here from time to time. I suppose I missed the subtext. As for irony, if the other eight complaints round out the top 10, I'd conclude Logic is pretty good. Maybe that's the point? The irony is itself ironic?

fuzzfilth

Logician
For $200, its left to users to support each other.
It's interesting that this argument comes up every once in a while. Here's my thoughts on this.

First, frankly, what support would you expect for 200.- (which you did not pay for support, but for a bundle of DAW and a software instrument library which in terms of size and quality is ahead of every other DAW out there. 200.- ? Are you kidding me ?). Let's face it, you did pay nothing for support, and got a decent package on top, so that's a good deal already. Professional grade software usually goes for around 2000.- - 10000.-, based on complexity and niche, and would this entitle you to free support ? Absolutely. But then, if Logic was 2000.- (as it once was, mind you) and had free support, we would not have this discussion because you quite possibly would not have bought it to begin with.

Then, it's commonly known and it has also been stated by the very guys writing this software that 75% of support calls (when they still took them) were questions that could easily be answered by reading the first three pages of the documentation. I'll be brutally honest and say that I'd rather have these guys sit and sweat over code than hanging on the phone all day trying to help the troglodytes find the Play button. Outsource it to a call center then ? Please no, I hate asking questions to someone who clearly knows but a fraction about their company's software than I do, and just parrots prefabricated answers from a script that they can't even pronounce properly, let alone understand.

Finally, only fellow users who know the software will not hesitate to tell you if something does not work as intended or has an implementation less than ideal or even clever, and also propose other, better ways of achieving the goal. That is not support's job anyway.

Last edited: