Logic Pro 9 Thinking of changing from Cubase SX3 to Logic Pro 9

OldSage

Hi All,

Basically joined this LUG to ask for some advice.

I am currently using Cubase SX3 and finding it somewhat limited now, wondering if it's worth upgrading to Cubase 5, or switching to Logic Pro 9, my current setup is running on a Mac Pro (not notebook) V10.5.6, I'm using Moto 24 I/O and a Pre8, currently running the Pre8 into the 24 I/O, main question is can I run both Motu's into Logic Pro 9?

Any help would be grateful.

Best regards Derek.

Hi Derek,

Welcome to the universe of Logic. It's cooler than the planet Pandora :D

From what you describe, you are running the Pre8 into the 24 I/O. So the question isn't really about Logic working with both interfaces. I think the question you mean to be asking is will Logic recognize all the I/O on the 24 I/O interface, right? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't hooking the two of them up together just give you additional preamps on the extra I/O on the 24 I/O?

Anyway, it should all work fine together. That is, Logic recognizing the additional I/O on the 24 I/O that the pre8 enables you to use.

Please correct me if I've misunderstood.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your speedy and helpful reply

Hi Eli, Yes that about covers what I was getting at, do you think that Logic is a more logical (sorry no pun intended) piece of software to use for music production? as I find Cubase a little confusing at times, thanks again for your reply, best regards Dere.

Hi Derek,

Welcome to the universe of Logic. It's cooler than the planet Pandora :D

From what you describe, you are running the Pre8 into the 24 I/O. So the question isn't really about Logic working with both interfaces. I think the question you mean to be asking is will Logic recognize all the I/O on the 24 I/O interface, right? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't hooking the two of them up together just give you additional preamps on the extra I/O on the 24 I/O?

Anyway, it should all work fine together. That is, Logic recognizing the additional I/O on the 24 I/O that the pre8 enables you to use.

Please correct me if I've misunderstood.

Upvote 0
Most Mac audio applications (except ProTools) support CoreAudio drivers so Logic will recognize MOTU gear just like Cubase.

You seem to be describing using the MOTU 24 I/O as a computer audio interface and plugging the stereo analog output of the MOTU 8pre (in stand-alone mode) into a couple of channels of the 24 I/O. If so, this is a somewhat illogical and wasteful way to use these two devices.

Rather, you ought to also plug the 8pre into the Firewire Port of the Mac (NOT the MOTU PCI card - it looks like Firewire but it's most certainly not). Then read up on "Aggregate Device" (found in the Audio/MIDI Setup application which is in your Utilities subfolder). This will combine two or more audio interfaces (in your case: 24I/O and 8pre) as if it were one, so any CoreAudio application (like Logic) would see it as one big interface.

It's not guaranteed to work perfectly with every combination of hardware, but more likely to work within the same manufacturer.

Or maybe when you wrote "Pre8" that really wasn't a mistake and you're referring to something completely different.

By the way, you'll want update to the free 10.5.8 for Logic9. Even better would be the paid upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6.2).

Upvote 0
Thanks Zerobeat

You are bang on the money, that's exactly what I was trying to achieve, Cubase SX3 will only handle the 24 I/O, and even though I've plugged the Pre8 into the firewire port (yes, not to the Motu PCI 424 card) it won't let me set up a dual I/O in Cubase, but from what you have described, Logic Pro 9 will or at least should. Logic should be worth the investment, as I'm at a point now where upgrading to Cubase 5 and a new install of Logic are the same price. Thanks Derek.

Upvote 0
Read again the part about Aggregate Device. It is not part of any particular application. It is part of the operating system. You can open it right now and aggregate your two audio interfaces into one "virtual" interface (with the combined I/O of both) that most audio applications will see.

Of course, baby applications like Garageband and Logic Express (not Pro) are limited to 12 physical inputs, but Logic Pro isn't.

Upvote 0
Of course, baby applications like Garageband and Logic Express (not Pro) are limited to 12 physical inputs, but Logic Pro isn't.
Logic Express 8 and newer isn't either. Apple stripped that I/O limitations from LE, so for example Logic Express 9 is virtually Logic Pro with a few plug-ins, Surround and TDM Support missing. But is has all Flex capabilities, and even EuCon support. I wouldn't call that exactly a "baby application":)

Best...

Manfred

Upvote 0
Move to Logic 8 from Cubase SX3

Just to throw in my two bob's worth... Jumping from Cubase SX3 to Logic 8 was the best thing I ever did in terms of music production and general software sanity. I felt right at home from the beginning, and though there were a couple of ways of doing or accessing things that I initially missed from Cubase, these were rather minor when compared with the overall user friendliness of Logic. I love it!

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Logic is now my primary DAW and really does have a significant coolness factor. :thmbup:

I was crazy about Cubase VST for seven years, then moved on to DP (at about the time Cubase SX3 was released). Logic 8 came along and flipped my whig. :hippy:

Some things to consider. You already know how Cubase works so upgrading to Cubase 5 will be relatively seamless: Bunches of new features embedded in an otherwise very familiar interface.

Logic Studio offers irrefutable bang for the buck: An amazing collection of software instruments, modeled guitar amps, excellent plug-in processors, and a generally straight forward, easy to use interface. (The Environment is another story.) The included mastering program- Waveburner, audio editor- SoundTrack Pro, and live performance application- Mainstage, cover all bases in one very affordable package. :D
Logic is extremely cpu efficient!!!

As already mentioned, their may be some Cubase features that you'll miss while otherwise moving happily into the future with Logic.

Another angle would be to add Logic, but then also update SX to Cubase 5. You'll be up to speed quickly with C5 if you need to get work done. You can learn Logic as a parallel path. (The issue here is cost of both programs. Cost is always an issue!!!)

So your choices are: 1. Upgrade the DAW you're currently using, 2. Set a new course by totally immersing in a new DAW, or 3. The parallel path: Continuing to use Cubase while integrating Logic into your work flow

Upvote 0
Back