Logic Pro 8 Tip for aligning a multitracked guitar

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
If you like to record an acoustic guitar with several mics and probably a pickup you know the problem of track alignment. Tonight I recorded a guitar with a near mic and a M/S setup and a piezo pickup. As usual the pickup reached the interface earlier.

After searching for typical peaks and zooming in and out to find some usable string attack I switched on Flex and aligned the pickup according to the transient markers. It worked:

20090925-qn6dar62rmrw81g25qcc54e2qt.jpg

I don't know why the M/S part is in time with the near mic, I didn't shift it and the mic distance was greater. But I shifted the pickup region to match the position of as many transients as possible. The sound is ok now.

Maybe this method helps you too, it is much faster than the usual trial and error.

BTW: do you know this article of Apple regarding Logic 9: Tips for phase-locked drum edits?

Maybe this is an alternative approach to solve the "multiple micro guitar recording problem" in an other way
Mhm, so far I could never really phase-align multiple mics in a room. That works if two similar mics are fairly close but if they are away from the guitar there is more going on in a room than straight waves. In this cases I don't see equal phase in every place. The phase shifts like a slow wave itself. I think this is the nature of an acoustic guitar in a room. I get best results when I align the tracks with approximate precision ;)

Upvote 0
Back