Logic Pro 9 Toggle Solo Mode

btoth17

Logician
While working in a studio, specifically doing mastering in Pro Tools, I could pull up three tracks (a ref, song a, and song b). I was also working on an digidesign Icon control console. If I wanted to switch from track to track, there was a mode built into the console so that the following could happen.

I would begin by soloing the ref track, so that only that tracked played and nothing else. By pressing the solo button on the control console for song a, it would automatically unsolo the ref and only solo song a, meaning only song a would play. From here i could solo any track and only that one would play making it easy to reference different tracks with the press of just one button and keeping the unsoloed tracks unheard.

Get it?

I was wondering if you knew how to build this into the logic 9 environment so I could achieve the same thing. For me, however, I am not tryin to map the controls to a midi controller or keyboard, merely just by clicking the solo button in the mix window. For now, that is all I would like to do, by just making this happen by clicking the solo for a track and having the others be unsoloed, and being able to move from track to track. Maybe even assign the solo action to keys on my keyboard (for example pressing z to solo track 1, x to solo track 2, c to solo track 3, etc or something like that).

I also have an axiom control keyboard that could be used to map, but for now I was wondering if you could inform me on how to do this with just my computer and mouse.

Thanks

put the three songs on three stereo tracks in the arrange window so they all start at bar 1, beat 1. Select the track you want to hear and press the "S" key on the keyboard. Now that track will be solo'd. Use the up or down arrow key to select the song above it or below it. You can easily switch from song to song while they are playing, and only the selected song will be heard.

Upvote 0
X-Or Solo Mode has been in ProTools for many years and has been a request for Logic for many years also.

I ONLY use that mode in ProTools. And when you press SHIFT, the previous track stays soloed (just like Latch Solo mode in ProTools without pressing SHIFT, which Logic only has).

X-Or mode in ProTools is the best of both worlds: Simply press SHIFT when you actually want Latch Mode. It's intuitively obvious and brilliant.

Upvote 0
The problem with using the Region Solo trick in Logic to vaguely achieve X-Or Solo mode is that there is a substantial delay when switching selections. That's because this solo mode actually takes the data offline/online (which takes time). The normal ChannelStrip solo is instant, because no data is being taken offline/online - you are just muting/unmuting signal flow which is like turning up/down the volume to/from nothing.

Same concept goes for Region Muting.

Upvote 0
Exclusive solo in Logic = OPtion key

When using Mixer solo in Logic (rather then Arrange soloing), just hold Option when pressing any channel's solo button - all other already-soloed channels will be un-soloed. Not quite X-Or but just about. Unfortunately, there are no key commands to do exclusive solo (as there are for latch solo/mute of channels/tracks) - you do need to use the mouse.

From the manual:
"To solo a channel strip, when another channel strip is already soloed:
Option-click an unsoloed channel strip. This solos the selected channel strip and deactivates the solo state of all other channel strips.
To disable the solo state of one or more channel strips:
Do one of the following: Click the channel strip's active Solo button. Option-click any active Solo button. This disables the solo state of all channel strips."

Upvote 0
From the manual:
"To solo a channel strip, when another channel strip is already soloed:
Option-click an unsoloed channel strip. This solos the selected channel strip and deactivates the solo state of all other channel strips.
To disable the solo state of one or more channel strips:
Do one of the following: Click the channel strip's active Solo button. Option-click any active Solo button. This disables the solo state of all channel strips."

Well tickle me with a toilet plunger and call me Mr. Hankey, this is great! If only we could reverse the behaviour (pressing Option latches the previously soloed channelstrip and keeps it that way, and not pressing Option behaves the X-Or way).

By the way, the above feature works for the Solo button on Arrange Tracks also.

Upvote 0
Back