Too new

Rickyz

I
Hello. I'm transitioning from Roland VS2480 to Logic Pro X. I have an older Mac mini and a 21" gaming monitor. I could use some advice on the best way to go with an audio interface and probably newer Mac mini. I have very good mic pre's that I would like to continue using. What kind of equipment are best for Logic?

Hi there, welcome to the LUG.

In order to give a qualified answer it would help to know what sort of work you want to do in Logic. How old is your Mac Mini? If you are purchasing logic now, be aware that the Mac will need to run at least MacOS Catalina 10.15.7, this is a requirement for the current release version gf Logic, 10.6.3. You refer to Mic Pres, so presumably there will be some audio recording involved? How many tracks you may want to record simultaneously will have a bearing on the kind of audio interface you will need, you can go from one input up to very many.

Tell us a little more about what your intentions are, that would help narrow down the options you may want to take a closer look at.

kind regards

Mark

My Mac mini is from 2012 iOS Sierra so I'll be purchasing a new Mac mini. I'll be getting wav files from other musicians along with recording live vocals, guitars and bass guitars. My mic pre's are AEA TRP2, Focusrite ISA Two and a Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre. Probably recording up to 8 tracks at a time. My version of Logic Pro X is 10.4.4. I think with the Focusrite OctPre I won't need a large interface.

Yes, sadly your 2012 model won't run Big Sur - unless there is a patch available and you want to go that route. Wait at least until tomorrow before looking at a new model, there is an Apple event and it is possible that some new Macs may be announced. The Focusrite OctPre should be OK for 8 microphones but AFAIK it isn't an AD/DA interface.

kind regards

Mark

Back