Logic Pro 9 totally mad MIDI region copy

peterlemer

Logician
I have an 8-bar MIDI region playing from bar 3.

OK, there are a lot of time sig changes and tempo changes ( it's a transcription of a highly rubato intro by bill evans)

When I copy this region to a later bar ( to compile a score), the MIDI is almost completely screwed! The timing seems OK but many of the pitches have changed ... a lot. It almost sounds inverted, but not completely.

I selected timesig alternative of 4/4 throughout and a tempo alternative of 120 bpm, with no improvement.

I then tried to loop the original region and the very first loop is screwed! ( and every one thereafter)

I tried to make a copy immediately following, and it's screwed.

I've never seen this behaviour before - where I can;t copy or loop a region and have the copy or loop make perfect sense.

( I can only get a good copy if it goes to the same bar on a different track)

Has anyone seen this before?

peter ( anxious as the client is travelling a distance to be here tomorrow morning to work on a finished arrangement)

SOLVED! There was a global chord track in there probably inherited from a previous song ( I tend to avoid starting from scratch) and the chord track was not showing by default, so wherever I placed a new region it followed the hidden chords at that point.

Pathetic but I'm good at spaghetti bolognese

:-(

move along now - nothing to see here folks <waves white.... thing>

pete

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say this is a dud at all Pete - if somebody else experiences this they may well benefit from reading this thread.

Don't be in any way put off writing about your experiences if one or two turn out to be "with-the-benefit-of-hindsight-this-would-never-have-happened" user errors :thmbup:

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
I agree with Mark, and you have taught me something: I'm not the only one with strange midi regions playing back at the wrong pitch. Difference is-you Peter figured it out on your own, I trashed the project and started over,but the MIDI regions now maintain their proper content,mostly.

Upvote 0
Thanks Peter for correcting my dyslexic reply. ROFL-great one, I will try to remember to use it correctly, my nephew in Houston had to explain to me what "my bad" at the end of a sentence meant. I took me years to figure out what LOL means, but speaking Dutch most of the time it reminds me of a word in Dutch:lol, which means having fun, I read in the wiki what the txt meaning is and ROFL is even better, Thanks again, cheers. David

Upvote 0
Back