Logic Pro 9 Transport control with fcb1010?

gtodd876

Logician
When I went through the help menus it seemed I could only use the midi learn function to parameters in the mixer and plug in window. Is it possible to map the transport controls in Logic to a FCB1010 like a gio would operate?

When I searched the web everything about the fcb1010 is linked to Mainstage. I play a bowed string instrument so it would be nice to complete operate logic with my feet.

Thank you for any help,

Todd

Hit "Apple L" and let Logic learn the midi data. If you open the GUI to "Expert View" you can see everything you are doing and change stuff manually if you want. I've sometimes found it useful to do that for scaling.

Upvote 0
Thanks Peter and Per! I got it working but now I just have to tame the fcb1010. I have the fcb set to send midi notes but with the fcb every other pedal press sends controller 26 as well as the midi note. It's a part of the tap tempo function that you can't turn off in the fcb unless you get that Uno firmware.

In Live when I assign midi to one of the on screen controls the pedal pops up as controller 26 although I can just press the pedal again to switch it back to the midi note for that pedal.

Is there a way to filter out certain midi message in Logic or would I need to use third party software? Is there a way I can translate those strange midi system numbers so I can tell what they mean?

Thank you for the help,

Todd

Upvote 0
... but with the fcb every other pedal press sends controller 26 as well as the midi note. It's a part of the tap tempo function that you can't turn off in the fcb unless you get that Uno firmware.
Not true, you must be in some strange preset or may have programmed that unintentionally. Or has Behringer recently changed the behavior? I run the FCB1010 with a neutral preset (switches 1+6 down at startup) and programmed a couple of banks for Mainstage. I've never seen a CC26 coming out for no reason.

If you program your board manually, try the iFCB editor. It does not work with all MIDI interfaces but if it does for you it's a great advantage.

20100117-di1ar3h6ja55api4j1trt619iy.jpg

Btw, look at the screenshot above, it is from the iFCB website. You see your CC26 in the Control Change field. I bet your FCB has the checkbox activated for all switches. And look at the Expression Pedals section, here is the bug that my FCB has also: The left pedal goes just to 1, not to zero. You cannot calibrate that, its a failure in the factory program. The editor helps you to find those problem spots.

Upvote 0
I do use iFCB and the only thing I have it programmed to send is midi notes. No CC whatsoever. I have confirmed this behavior with a midi monitor as well. Maybe your fcb could be an earlier version. I know Jeff Larson's (who author of the Mobius looping program) does not have this problem with his fcb but I have run into many other people that do have this problem. When I posted of this strange behavior to the FCB1010 user group this was the reply:

--- In fcb1010@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Riley" <the-bug@...> wrote:
>
> Todd,
>
> This is the result of Behringer's tap tempo implementation. I know,
> it sounds funny - but look for Tap Tempo in the user guide.
>
> Upgrade to UnO firmware, and you'll be able to disable those CC
> messages. This is in addition to numerous other improvements.
>
> Best wishes...
>
> mike
>
> --- In fcb1010@yahoogroups.com, "teeodoubled3000" <toddieus@>
> wrote:
> >
> > I now notice after I programed all the buttons on my fcb to send
> midi
> > note messages there is a control change message sent on every other
> > button press. So for example if I hit pedal 1 in Bank 00:
> >
> > The first press will be Midi note C-2 On
> > C-2 Off
> >
> > then the second press will send Midi note C-2 On
> > Midi note C-2 Off
> > Control Change 26
> >
> > The happens on every button. It will send the appropriate note but
> > then it will also send a cc message. I noticed this first in Live
> then
> > Mobius. In those programs when I'm creating my midi bindings it
> will
> > say the appropriate note name then if I press the button again it
> says
> > "control 0"
> > When I use the programs they both act screwy because of this
> behavior.
> > Any help on getting the FCB to only send note messages no matter
> what??
> >
> > So far to troubleshoot I have gone through to check the programming
> > manually and so far I only have exp A, exp b, and note selected for
> > each button.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Todd
> >

Upvote 0
Weird indeed. And for key commands or controller assignments you cannot even block this CC26 message in Logic. MidiPipe could do it but this makes things more complicated.

The UNO chip would be an option. But does iFCB work with the UNO firmware or is there another Mac editor that works?

Upvote 0
YOu're right, gtodd876. All my three FCB's (they last almost exactly for three years) has been leaking random CC#s. But that's no problem as long as you have not assigned something to such a sudden spitted out random CC#. What I do with big sessions in Bidule is to use a filter before every stage where a function is assigned a MIDI event to only let the assigned data through. Logic has some MIDI filter capabilities too but Mainstage has very little protection as well as being "hard wired" to react on some MIDI CC#s that correspond to the old Roland General MIDI protocol (like "volume", "pan" etc). However, with Logic and Mainstage you can always use MIDI Pipe, a free little utility that gives you total control of MIDI ports. It works by creating virtual MIDI ports where you may apply filtering, transformation and scaling of incoming MIDI data. In Logic you simply chose this filtered (virtual) MIDI In port.

Upvote 0
YOu're right, gtodd876. All my three FCB's (they last almost exactly for three years) has been leaking random CC#s. But that's no problem as long as you have not assigned something to such a sudden spitted out random CC#.
Mhm yes but he wants to use it for transport and might run into a problem with MIDI learn for the key commands in case the CC26 comes after the message he wants to learn. It is probably necessary to edit the learned assignment manually.

Upvote 0
It is probably necessary to edit the learned assignment manually.
Yep. If one keeps the control assignments window (cmnd L) open it is easy to see what gets learned and when something unknown sneaks in between to take over. When that happens you can correct the assignment manually.

Upvote 0
Back