Logic Pro X Transport Problem - randomly starting before Playhead position when hitting "play".

pbass2

Logician
I've got this frustrating phenomenon that just started seemingly out of the blue. I'll be working along in Logic, everything behaving normally, and then suddenly this Transport issue starts: if I hit "Play" (spacebar), the Transport will start 1 second before the location of the playhead. For example, if the Playhead is located at say, 30 seconds in, at :30, I'll hit Play, and the Transport kicks back one second at starts playing :29. Same thing happens if the Playhead is back at the very beginning. Happens if I have a Cycle region selected, or none at all. It's weird!
At first I thought I just had a corrupt file/project, but sure enough, I've tried starting from a totally blank new project, and it'll be fine for a while, and then the issue just randomly starts and I can find no way to reset it/fix it. My transport is set to the normal default settings. This occurs in a dead-simple project with just a couple audio tracks, no midi instruments, and in ones with midi events. I attached a screen shot of the Syncronization settings fwiw. It's the way I've always had it set for all my projects.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Logic 10.4.6
Mac OS 10.13.6

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 2.33.43 PM.png

pbass2

Logician
Replying to myself here, as I've solved it in case anyone else runs into this: the problem appears to have been caused by the Izotope RX De-clicker plug-in. That plugin delays the audio coming out as it analyzes and processes it, and it seems it actually changes where the Logic playhead starts from when hitting play. But not always. Kinda weird. So maybe it's just a buggy plug-in, or my version of Logic doesn't play nicely with it or whatever. Even after removing the plug-in the Logic file was still tweaky. But starting a new project w/o ever inserting that plug-in seems back to normal for now.

Upvote 0

fuzzfilth

Logician
Any halfway decent restoration plugins do have a fair amount of pre-read, which adds to the latency, which in turn is compensated by fetching the audio early off disk, as you experienced, so that's not surprising.

If you're still in the editing stage, leave off Declickers and Denoisers, as they only slow you down. Once you got all edits sorted, pile up the suckers like there's no tomorrow.

Upvote 0

pbass2

Logician
Any halfway decent restoration plugins do have a fair amount of pre-read, which adds to the latency, which in turn is compensated by fetching the audio early off disk, as you experienced, so that's not surprising.

If you're still in the editing stage, leave off Declickers and Denoisers, as they only slow you down. Once you got all edits sorted, pile up the suckers like there's no tomorrow.
Yep, I hear ya. I was just surprised that a 3rd party plug in could actually control how the Logic Transport was functioning. But admittedly, I'm a "never reads the manual" kinda guy:) Still odd though, that even after removing that plug in, the project still exhibited that behavior, like it had been tweaked/corrupted.

Upvote 0