Logic Pro (X) transpose several audio regions at once

edurbrow

Logician
I searched the Internet but could not find or figure out how to transpose several audio regions at once. I had to open flex for each audio region and drag. I must be missing something.
TIA

Still haven't figured this out. I want to try everything in a new key. Isn't there a way to transpose all the selected regions at once?

Upvote 0
Your only options in Logic include:
- bouncing those audio tracks one at a time with Time and Pitch Machine, or a third party product.

- bouncing all of the tracks to stereo, then use T&P Machine to transpose the stereo file but the results will not be acceptable.

In all seriousness, use MachFive 3 IRCAM stretch on either individual audio files or a stereo bounce. The results are nothing short of amazing!

Upvote 0
MachFive3 huh? I upgraded to MachFive2 and am frustrated with it. (The upgrade costs as much as Logic X). I always get messages that the samples can't be found. But that is an issue for another forum, I guess.
This transpose audio thing is one item I wish Logic would copy from DP. In DP you just select everything you want and choose the transposition amount. Boom audio and midi, all done, each track done separately.

Upvote 0
You can try to transpose on the fly using some plugins such as:
1. Logic Vocal Transformer with some Formant assignments in case you want to transpose up - down a few semitones.
2. Or a third party plugin Zplane Elastique-Pitch.

Upvote 0
This transpose audio thing is one item I wish Logic would copy from DP. In DP you just select everything you want and choose the transposition amount. Boom audio and midi, all done, each track done separately.

The frustration expressed is one reason I've bounced around between DAW. Unfortunately there is no Warmouth to custom build a DAW.

Per a Gearslutz reference, the Zplane Elastique recommended by Tangra is the technology used in DP, Cubase, Reaper, and Live among others.

Since you have DP, why not use it for your transposition needs. No extra cost involved except for a few extra mouse clicks.

I'm not kidding about the IRCAM Stretch feature in M5v3. In the process of revisiting content created in a Tascam Porta One then digitized years ago, I transposed the stereo file down an octave without changing the tempo. Playback was flawless.
Here's an example from MOTU:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I didn't have V2 of MachFive, but I don't have problems with lost samples in V3. There are some things to bear in mind with the way items are stored. E.g. when loading an EXS24 instrument, the instrument and sample files all have to be in the same folder. Best to do it once and save as a M5 file.

On Warmouth, or the lack thereof: you can do a bit of mix and match. I sometimes link DP and Logic together using DPs interapp MIDI and Soundflower (64 channel version). I can then set up a project that uses EXS24 only sounds, unique MIDI features in each application, multiple sequences, VST plugins, etc. Setting up the templates takes a few minutes, but once done, it works well. You can set up similar arrangements to access 32 bit plugin hosts like DSP-Quattro from 64 bit DP or Logic instances.

Upvote 0
Cseye, I recall the MOTU Tech Note. When I tried that approach I found it difficult to get more than one MIDI channel functioning independently in Logic or MainStage. That's what set me to look into it more closely. I use filters in the Environment to work this out (with some advice from Eli).

What would Rewire bring to the table that we don't get with Interapp MIDI and Soundflower?

Upvote 0
Both Logic and DP claim to be able to act as master or slave for most transport synchronization protocols. I haven't had to use them. Is there any reason they wouldn't work?

Upvote 0
Back